In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you test a new reload?

Reddot47Reddot47 Member Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just started reloading. I shoot a Keltec Sub2000 9mm in IPSC style competitions, so my distances are 25 yards at the most.

When you go out to the range to test a new load do you shoot at a target from a bench rest or do you shoot the target offhand to more accurately simulate the conditions you are going to shoot in?

I loaded some 124 gr Speer JHP using 4.1 gr Titegroup. The brass I used was mixed 1x fired. I made sure that the OAL was dead on and that the crimp dimension was accurate. When compared to the Winchester 115 factory the felt recoil seemed less, and the group was about 2" while the factory all touched. Do I keep everything the same and just increase the powder withing Titegroups specs, or what?

Comments

• Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I'll try to be brief; the load you made uses a heavier bullet at an unknown velocity-comparing it or anything other than the caliber to factory ammo would be a waste of semantics.
    I always use a good manual to find a load with similar characteristics to the one I'd like to make ie; bullet weight, velocity, bullet type, etc.
    I then work up loads for the gun I'm using for that particular application.
    Once I've decided to load a few, I start by reducing the printed load maximum by at least 6%, and sometimes 10% depending on the powder/primer combination.
    Once I've made a couple dozen rounds, I open the kitchen window and fire them across the screens of my chronograph (easily obtainable, easy to use, and under $100) to see if they are in the neighborhood (pun intended) of the velocity I seek.
    If that goes OK, I then load a few more with 0.1 grain steps, slowly increasing the charge weight until I reach the published max load.
    I then fire those at the range to see their accuracy potential, and to check their velocities.
    Many times, I have tossed out loads ABOVE the preferred load to keep others from firing them; sometimes, I get to the max and still don't have what I want. That's when you switch components to reach the ideal load.
    I usually fire for accuracy after I've worked up a good load; if it isn't hitting where I want, I switch loads.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    i test the loads for my race gun on the rest then i test them off hand and i adjust the Cmore off hand thw way i hold
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Once I've made a couple dozen rounds, I open the kitchen window and fire them across the screens of my chronograph (easily obtainable, easy to use, and under $100) to see if they are in the neighborhood (pun intended) of the velocity I seek.

Pardon me while I take a moment to dream a pleasant dream of living where I could do that. I mean, my living room looks out over a city park, but the local constabulary takes a dim view of me testing my pet loads there. Thanks for the diversion. Now back to our program.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The biggest problem I see as far as your accuracy goes is the mixed brass. In 9x19 you hafta sort your brass, the case cap is incredibly low, and there are serious variations from one MFG to another as far as case design goes.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    The biggest problem I see as far as your accuracy goes is the mixed brass. In 9x19 you hafta sort your brass, the case cap is incredibly low, and there are serious variations from one MFG to another as far as case design goes.

In an IPSC match, don't worry about shorting your brass. like you said, the range is usually soi short, you don't need to worry about it
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fire for effect
    quote:Originally posted by richbug

In an IPSC match, don't worry about shorting your brass. like you said, the range is usually soi short, you don't need to worry about it

If you don't even make minor power factor due to the unknown brass, you won't get a score. Minor for a rifle is 160 last I checked, his load might make 130 out of a carbine.