In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good overall bullet for 45/70

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
Hey all,
I was wondering what you guys think is the best overall bullet for hunting deer, black bear, and hogs. I am looking at the Nosler 300 Gr. Partition and the Barnes 300 Gr. X-bullet. Just wondering what you guys think?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How do, Jon. For all around use on tough animals, I really like the Hornady 350 grain bullet. I've used it on BIG hogs with the 45-70 (350 pound Piney Woods Rooter) and it busted through both shoulders, did a lot of damage in between, and kept on trucking. My friend, who was an Alaskan guide, used it in his 458 WinMag and informs me it does nasty things to the big brownies up there. It is also one of the most accurate factory 45 rifle bullets I've ever shot...groups under an inch at 100 yards are quite common. It is available in either a round nose (for single shots or bolt guns) or flat point design (for tubular magazines).

I haven't tried it on deer, so I can't comment on how it performs on them. I usually use a Gould design (330 grain hollow point) soft cast bullet on whitetails...they don't go anywhere but down if they are hit forward of the diaphragm with one of those. Behind the diaphragm and they usually get real sick and sit there waiting for a coup de grace. Those bullets anchor deer like nothing I've ever seen.

Hope this helps, pard.

[:D]
  • Options
    shooter93shooter93 Member Posts: 322 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never shoot less than 405 gr. in 45 calibers including the 45-70. Either cast or jacketed. In jacketed ...Remington 405's are available in bulk at good prices if you're going to shoot a lot.
  • Options
    CHAIRMAKERCHAIRMAKER Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Jon, One thing to keep in mind with the 350 Gn. jacketed bullets is that some are made for 45/70 velocity and some are not. The Hornady 350 Gn. Flat Point, for example, was designed for the 450 Marlin and made to expand at 450 and 45/70 velocities. On the other hand, the Hornady 350 Gn. RN is designed for the 2200 fps. range more common with the 458 Win Mag. The 350 Flat Point has been quite accurate in my Marlin and is potent deer medicine.
    Hope this helps.