In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wanting to test the water in Competition

gotstolefromgotstolefrom Member Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
I live in South Louisiana. Fortunately my Dad was 'old school' where before you're 13 you can handle a powered boat, a shotgun, and a skillet for the harvest of both.

I've enjoyed reloading all my life and love to hunt and shoot. I'm getting close to retirement and now shoot more than I hunt. I want to look into some competitive shooting. All my guns are 'working guns' or mil-surp. Can anyone steer me in the right direction...at least just watch for a while to see if it lights my fire.

Thanks

Comments

• bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give it a try. I took up pistol silhouette shooting when I retired. I enjoy it greatly. There is also rifle silhouette and even rimfire silhouette. I also reload to make my shooting more affordable. Have fun. Retirement is GREAT!
    JM[:)]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    see if any of the benchrest matches are held within traveling distance for you. Try 6br.com, they have a page with schedules and locations as does "precision shooting" magazine. Go watch a varmint class match (light varmint and heavy varmint) also look at hunter class matches, factory class matches, as well as 600yd and 1000yd matches for both light gun and heavy gun. That should give you the whole experience as far as the differences in set-ups as well as distances and regulations (time limits, weight limits, shot limits, etc).

Look at IBS (international benchrest shooters) as well as NBRSA (national benchrest shooters association)
  • PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    My favorite is IDPA pistol competition. It is good practice and doesn't require expensive equipment. I know these is a lot of this in the south. I am in North West Alabama and there is a good bit here. Wilson pretty much started it in Arkansas.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    Here is a link to clubs that belong to USPSA in Louisiana http://uspsa.org/dw/clubfinder.php

Here is the link to USPSA http://www.uspsa.org/