In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD (B.C. Part 2)

It's me again

I was thinking and doing a little reasearch and I have come up with another question. In looking through Seirra's B.C. charts I looked up the .243's and I discovered that they make a 107gr. HPBT Match that has a higher B.C. than the .308. I was wondering if the .243 would be a better gun for shooting 600yd shoots with the 107gr. bullet. My choice of gun for either cartrige would be a Savage 12bvss. The .243 has A twist of 1-9.25. In my mind the .243 would see more like the logical choice, but then again that does not seem like a target rifle to me

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by needforspeed
    It's me again

I was thinking and doing a little reasearch and I have come up with another question. In looking through Seirra's B.C. charts I looked up the .243's and I discovered that they make a 107gr. HPBT Match that has a higher B.C. than the .308. I was wondering if the .243 would be a better gun for shooting 600yd shoots with the 107gr. bullet. My choice of gun for either cartrige would be a Savage 12bvss. The .243 has A twist of 1-9.25. In my mind the .243 would see more like the logical choice, but then again that does not seem like a target rifle to me

The .243 is an excellent rifle for 600 yard shooting. The .308 is hard to beat though. I would think the .308 with heavier pills (higher BC's) would outperform the .243 at 600 yards. The .243 A.I. has been used in 1000 yard competition.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5mm (.264) also have a very high BC rating, why not the 260Rem?
    If the only thing your goint to look at is BC, may I suggest you skip Sierra and go directly to Berger, Lost River, etc ?
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    needforspeed,

Your next bit of research needs to be directed at twist rate. Many of the VLD bullets require twist rates a little faster than what is put into factory barrels normally. A .243 Win. loaded with those 107 gr. SMK's needs to have a 1:8 twist to achieve and maintain stability past 1,000 yards. Find the length of the bullets that you're interested in and wash them through a twist rate calculator, you'll see what I mean. Also remember that a high BC is not the only factor that needs to be considered, there are many and none of them can be ignored.

"In my mind the .243 would see more like the logical choice, but then again that does not seem like a target rifle to me"

Two of the last tactical matches that I saw statistics for were won with the .243 Win.

The smaller capacity 6.5 cases are coming into their own these days since the 1,000 yard shooters are complaining about the shorter barrel life of the 6.5 X 284 cartridge. The 6.5 X 55, 6.5 X 57 and the .260 Rem. would be perfect at the 600 yard line. There is also the new 6.5 X 47 Lapua which is on its way from Finland.

The nice thing about the Savage method of barrel attachment is that you can order pre-threaded/chambered barrels from several sources and using just a headspace gauge, switch barrels with relative ease. So you could consider a 22 caliber barrel with an 8 twist and shoot the 22-250 AI with the 80 gr. VLD bullets and do very nicely. Or get a 7" twist and shoot the JLK 90 grainers which is what I use. Check on the Bergers but forget about the Lost River bullets completely.

There is a bunch more stuff to cover but go slow and figure these things out as you go along.

Best.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The .243 has a short neck...that translates into short barrel life, if hot-rodded.
    The 6MM is marginally better..but there is a couple wild-cats that work well in 6mm.