In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Taper crimp die help needed

320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
What is the difference between a taper crimp die and a resizing die with the de-primer parts taken out? Both squeeze the case down, one does it without a bullet seated, one does. Can the gutted resizer be used as a taper crimp?

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If the die was designed to apply a crimp there is no reason it wont work if you take the expander assembly out first.
  • Options
    Jim RehmJim Rehm Member Posts: 102 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A taper crimp die only forms the end of the case neck to tightly grip the bullet groove or shank of the bullet. A sizing die actually over squeezes the neck which is then opened up to the proper size by the expanding button as the case is withdrawn from the die. A sizing die could crush and deform the bullet.
  • Options
    320090T320090T Member Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is rainy so I played with the taper crimp die on the 550. It will work, but... if it is not deep enough you will get no crimp. If it is too deep then the die will pull the bullet up during upstroke. There is a "sweet" spot where it will work well, but..... here we go again, cases must be sorted as some are thicker than others and this will change the effectiveness of the crimp. I ordered a Dillon taper crimp to go with the RCBS carbides to be able to load without messing up. Oh yeah, nines are much smaller than 44's and will pinch your fingers!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello go with a taper crimp die a sizer die that will crimp the mouth of the case will also size the bullet so now it would have a undersize bullet. I have loaded & shot 5000 -7500 rounds of 45 ACP a year for the last 35 years and have done bunches of Ransom Rest testing Believe ME crimp and bullet size makes a big diffenance. in group size