In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

brass under trim lenght after firing?

I've got brass that is under length for trim length what is the deal?do i have my dies set wrong or is this common with full length resizing? trim is 2.815 my brass is 2.797 I dont get it [:0]

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What caliber, gun, powder, primer, bullet and that kind of mundane stuff are we dealing with here?
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    300 weatherby weatherby brass 84.5 gr RL22 Federal 215 primer barnes 180gr xlc bullet weatherby vanguard 24" barrel it is puzzling the brass was fine before i loaded it it was in tolerance between 2.815 & 2.825
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Was it short to begin with...a lot of the time brass is short when you first get it...perhaps it has not grown enough to need triming yet.?.?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    no this brass was all 2.815 or longer
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My guess would be this;

The new cases you shot had a case body diameter that was narrow up by the shoulder. Your chamber may be a bit large near the shoulder, but has tight headspace. Upon firing the shoulder gets blown out, it need nmaterial to move out. Since the headspace is fine it gets it's growth brass from the neck area.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it. [:D]

I bet the next time you fire them they get longer.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Always trim after sizing. The brass went somewhere, and in the typical slophole that belted chambers are there is a lot of room to move brass around..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess what I shuold have said is the brass has never been trimmed it was once fired in this gun and did not need trimmed it was between the two case lengths givin in my manual and it shrank after being reloaded and fired a second time so it seemed puzzling that it would do that it seems like it should have done it on the first firing[;)]
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    It will not always form out on the first firing, sometimes it needs to be fired again before it will fit 100% , and thats why it didn't do it the first time around.
    Like Bpost mentioned, the chamber is probably just loose enough to cause the brass to end up shorter bvecause of the internal space involved.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks guys I now understand what you are telling me I have always had alot of rifles but never reloaded alot so I guess I never knew that these types of things happened This is the reason I am glad I stumbled onto this web site You guys have all helped me out alot and I apprieciate it THANKS![:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

I'm inclined to go with Bposts explanation. The Brass flows backward while being shot and shortens itself. Usually, the trimming process is done after resizing a fired case. That way you have the form fit and get it to the length you want. HERE's THE CATCH..during the sizing process many people don't adequately lube THE INSIDE OF THE NECK...brass stretches like no yesterday. Minimize this and you minimize trimming and lengthen case life considerably. I soak a q-tip in my lube stuff and swirl it in each case neck. It never hurts to give your sizing ball a whirl either, Saves probably .002-.006 per resizing. That's my story of where your brass goes. -good luck.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

I'm inclined to go with Bposts explanation. The Brass flows backward while being shot and shortens itself. Usually, the trimming process is done after resizing a fired case. That way you have the form fit and get it to the length you want. HERE's THE CATCH..during the sizing process many people don't adequately lube THE INSIDE OF THE NECK...brass stretches like no yesterday. Minimize this and you minimize trimming and lengthen case life considerably. I soak a q-tip in my lube stuff and swirl it in each case neck. It never hurts to give your sizing ball a whirl either, Saves probably .002-.006 per resizing. That's my story of where your brass goes. -good luck.
  • Options
    jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--Yo csjs, I somewhat agree with bpost, except in all my Weatherbys I've never lost brass in shooting--I wonder if you may be setting the BULLET out too far and exceeding the freebore or maybe your Vanguard has a minimun freebore--3.560" seems to be the NORMAL max AOL--how does that look???[?][?] JIMBO