In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 7.62x39

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is there any real need for this or should i start doing this, if I should, should i get a progressive press, i have a single stage now, but that seems to slow when i own an sks?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Can't find any data in my nosler books, have a old speer I'm going to look in later. Any of you have a secret Military grade reloading formula you'd like to share? Thanks for your time. Pete
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    At this moment in time and considering you are shooting semi auto, personally, I would not reload for your SKS.

Biggest reason - cost. Your component cost is quite a bit higher than buying aftermarket or milsurp. Prices may change, so you might have to consider it in the future.

If you had a bolt action or single shot, yes, definitely would reload now.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload it. It is more fun to make your own. Any old bullet from 100 grain plinkers to 130 grain BT's work just fine. I keep the loads prety mild. Brass life seems good. trimming is needed after a couple of firings but that is no big deal.. Single stage presses are for real men. You don't need a progressive for the little blaster round.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    yes, but right now most of the 7.62x39 is going to Iraq, do think it will come back, I have some on backorder
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I only reload for my Yugo as I hate tracking down cases; the Norinco gets surplus. The Yugo I turn off the gas and have very good luck with both Hornady 123 gr. .310" bullets and even surplus pulled .308 150 grainers from 30-06 ammo. I also sometimes shoot cast bullets from it. If you don't mind it as a straight pull bolt actoin, or chasing down empties.

With the surplus or cast bullets it is even cheaper than wolf ammo.

Jon