In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

222 rem

fasttackfasttack Member Posts: 81 ✭✭
Just starting out with 222. Have a bunch of old imr 4198. It is listed for almost every 222 load, but never as the most accurate (Lyman 48th) Should I start out with the suggesteg accurate load or use the 4198?

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The load listed as most accurate showed consistent repeatable results during testing. It may be the worst load for your particular rifle. I would load the powders you have on hand as a place to start. If the results you get are not up to your expectations then you can look at other powders. Try different bullets and seating depths too. You are looking for one that works for your rifle. Primers can also be a source of imporvement.

Good luck, be safe.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    I always found H4198 to be a excellant powder for the triple duece.
    Try it and see
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks

as to primers, planning on rem 71/2 any others?
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loaded 4198 for years in the 222 with excellent results ( with Sierra match bullets ). AA 2015, AA 2230, and IMR 4895 powders always loaded well also.
    Federal Match Primers and Winchester Small Rifle Primers both gave good results for me.
    Good Luck..............[8D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fasttack,

4198 is a great powder for .222 Rem. I have used it and 4895 with much success. The best success I ever had with the .222 Rem though was with XMR2015. A little bit slower burn than 4198 but well worth the change. 22.5 grs. behind a 50 grn Sierra gave me a (once in a lifetime so far) .013" five shot group. Too bad it wasn't a match. I've sworn by XMR2015 ever since then for small cases. -good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys will add this info to my notes