In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Throat Erosion?

I'm loading up some 22-250 for a hunt on the 27th and I noticed something I never noticed about my Savage 112-J. Before I de-cap and neck-size, a bullet will slip completely down the neck of a fired case. Clear into the case. Is it time to get the chamber reamed?

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nothing wrong with the gun,thats why you have to resize the case.if the chamber were tight enough to leave the case the same size pressure would be unbelieveable.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Well, okay, then.
    I just never noticed this particular event before.
    Thank you kindly for the info.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Just to clarify a bit...that is one test for the need of neck reaming....Trying a bullet in the neck after firing.Should slip in exactly as you described.
    As stated above....the brass expands to allow the bullet to exit the case. Were the neck thick enough to not allow the expansion..you in effect have "locked" the bullet into an inmobile hand grenade...
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You said you have run 3000rnds from this rifle, and bought it used, so I would say this is a good point to have a borescope check just to what extent erosion has taken place, as it surely has at this point. There is nothing to say it isn't still shooting great, but that round count dictates some rifling erosion. Many times a simple decrease in seating depth and a small powder adjustment can bring it back for another several hundred rounds.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    You said you have run 3000rnds from this rifle, and bought it used, so I would say this is a good point to have a borescope check just to what extent erosion has taken place, as it surely has at this point. There is nothing to say it isn't still shooting great, but that round count dictates some rifling erosion. Many times a simple decrease in seating depth and a small powder adjustment can bring it back for another several hundred rounds.

Thanks much. I'll be scouting around for a competent gunsmith shortly, then. The guy that sold me the rifle said the bbl was new to the gun when he sold it...
    But he also said the stock was pillar-bedded, which it was not. So I'll take what he said with a grain (shaker, pillar) of salt.
    Frankly, I just don't shoot the prairie dogs like I used to since the baby came along, so I might very well just be lacking practice.
    I've been wanting to put a McMillan stock on the old girl for a while and replace the Canjar with something more to my liking...So if I can keep from buying a new gun this year, I should give her an extreme make-over. Might be a big if. I mean, there are so many guns out there...and they're just all so pretty.....
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just have it checked, you might well have another 1000rnds if it has been treated well all it's life.[;)] if it's been run hot a lot, it'll be just about time to be looking into a new blank while finishing off the old one[}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    just have it checked, you might well have another 1000rnds if it has been treated well all it's life.[;)] if it's been run hot a lot, it'll be just about time to be looking into a new blank while finishing off the old one[}:)]

Thank ye kindly, sir.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is one of, if not the best resources for Savage rifles:

http://www.savageshooters.net/sharpshooters/

This is another good resource:

http://savagegunsmithing.com/