In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Barrel Cleaning

I clean my barrels after about 30-40 shots. I shot mostly nolser ballistic tips. What is everyones thought on how often to clean. I have heard everything from three shots to never.

Comments

• needforspeedneedforspeed Member Posts: 48 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was wondering about what kind of cleaning supplies to clean my rifle barrel. What is the best rod, are strait bristle brushes all right to use, to I need a barrel guide, what does the rod need to be made out of. What are some good cleaning solovents to use to. The rifle that I am cleaning is .22 caliber. Steps on the procedure would be helpful to.

And also what are some good links to buy these on.Thanks
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hoppies anything
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    either a Dewey or Bore-Tech rod, a sinclair bore guide, and any of quite a few great solvents. Brushes shoould be either bronze or Nylon.

solvents I like best are:
    Montana Extreme
    Montana Extreme 50BMG
    Shooters Choice
    Wipe-out Bore foam
    Kroil for protection and lube
    balistol oil for protection and lube also

Links

www.sinclairintl.com
    www.rwhart.com
    www.natchezss.com
    www.midwayusa.com
    www.midsouthshooters.com
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Get a one piece rod. Stainless steel or coated.
    Do NOT get one of those aluminum screw together jobs...junk is a kind word for them...and damaging you barrel is a very real probability.
    Be sure that the handle of the rod has bearings..will spin freely.

Clean from the breech if possible...ALWAYS. The bore guide you mentioned will suffice...but better is to pull the bolt and use a bolt guide.

Do not use stainless steel brushes.
    Shooters Choice is a good solvent..

Hoppes gun cleaning kits are mostly just so much once a month duffer stuff. Buy a good rod...20 -30 bucks...and you will have it for a bunch of years.PVC pipe will make a nice case for it...
    Never buy brushes that have twisted together wire ends...get the kind that has a loop, front end. They cost a buck more.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Steer away from the kinky little one size does all Aluminum cleaning rods, Midwayusa.com has a sale on good carbon fiber 1 piece rods right now, and you can get all the supplies you need from them while your at it.
    Most of the solvent bottles ( I have had real good luck with Butches Bore Shine, and rarely have a need for a brush when using it) have instructions on them as to what to do, but it usually boils down to running a few wet patches down the bore and then letting it set for a bit, and then running a nylon brush if your in a hurry through a good bore guide (never heard of a bolt guide before) for a few passes, and then running more wet patches through the barrel until they come out squeaky clean, and then a bit of gun oil down the bore to prevent rust from occuring. Remove the oil before you go to shoot the rifle again.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    consider looking into these products,work very well and you can clean anything from the breach.
    http://www.otisgun.com/
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you mean a 22 rimfire then cleaning the barrel should be done about once a year or ten. You will wear it out from cleaning before you do it any good.

On a factory new rifle it does need a good cleaning with bore solvent and a carb type cleaner to remove the oils used for shipping.

After that I only cleaned my Anschutz match rifles after several thousand rounds went down range. The one I have now holds a 1/4 inch group at 50 yards with the right ammo. I'll probably clean that barrel in 2015.

if it is a center fire .22 then you should follow some of the advice posted earlier.
  • pjcarawaypjcaraway Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some SLIP 2000 725 for the gun degresser,then the Bore Tech ELIMINTATOR, that will clean the COPPER from your barrel .use wet patches then a good bore brush after the Bore Tesh has had some time to sock it to the copper then use clean patches and make sure that they are clean when you quit ,it dosen't take long to due this with the BORE TECH, then use the SLIP 2000 Gun Lubricant and cleaner, it will pentrate into the metal of your barrel and give it a sliperear coating and it takes less effort to get the bullet down the barrel if you have a chory graft you can try ti without the SLIP 2000 then reclean like I said befor it this letter and try it again, you can see the differance on the chrony graft as to the SLIP 2000 work's. the more you use it the better it works,it will let your barrel's last a lot longer and if you experment with your load's you can get by use less power to get the same distance and the accuary is great.I don't sell any of these cleaner but tou will find that I beleive that you can't better anywhere. the web address for the SLIP PRODUCTS IS www.slip2000.com and the bore tech eliminator is www.boretech.com make sure that you get the eliminator not something else.
    ALso before you begin to shoot in a match fire 5-6 round's through your gun first this will fill in the low places in your barrel. I shoot in matches the 22 rim fire, 6mm br custom made rifle and a 260 ackley for long range from 600 to 1000 yard's also custom built and a custom built 308 at the same ranges as the 260 ackley, 22-45 calibar pistol's
    Happy shooting