In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bore cleaner recommendation

what kinds of bore cleaner does everybody use? anyone have any expeirience with the new foaming cleaners?[8D]

Comments

• Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using Barnes CR-10 for 2 years. I like it. It is easy to use, and the smell is not too bad. Kind of smells like windex. It works well on copper fowling, as it is an amonia based cleaner that disolves the copper deposits.

There are easier, and faster kinds out there, but this works well for me.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    I went from using Remington products to using Blue Wonder for cleaning, I love the stuff now!!!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wipe-out involves the LEAST work of any cleaner, and dissolves copper like nothing I have seen. Foam the bore, come back tomorrow and run a patch down the bore. You have now cleaned your barrel[:D]

Other than that, montana extreme, montana extreme 50BMG, shooters choice, are all great bore cleaners with brushes and patches.
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    wipe out sounds great have to try that![:D]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    csjs1194,

I have recently been trying Gunslick 'Foaming Bore Cleaner'. It come in a blue and white can with a plastic tube down the side(obviously). So far, I have to say I'm very impressed with it. As long as I get good dispersion throughout the barrel when applying it. I hold a finger over 1/2 the end of the barrel to create a little backpressure and when it squirts out the ends it also backfills the barrel a little better. You leave it in for 1/2 hour at least. Then patch out. It's literally a complete chemical process with no scrubbing involved.

Now for the drawbacks. You have to wait thirty minutes or it won't combine with the copper and get it out. You can see the difference in the end of your barrel when you patch out too soon. If you wait more than an hour it dries up balls up when you patch it out. And again It doesn't get the copper out. But it does work pretty good when you do the timing right. Anyhow, that's the only foaming bore cleaner I've used.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Butches Bore Shine is great stuff.

Foaming bore cleaners get the copper out but is not all that good on carbon.

I've started leaving a film of Hoppes #9 in the bore after cleaning. It protects from rust and is mild enough to not hurt the bore. When I take it out to shoot it I run a patch down and get it all out. It surprised me to get more junk out of a bore that I thought was spotless. The #9 keeps doing its job while in storage.

My .02
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    My votes in for Butchs Bore Shine as well.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hoppies #9, the best
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Hoppes followed by Wipe Out when I fire jacketed bullets.
    Pete
  • Options
    37rangemaster37rangemaster Member Posts: 235 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sweetes 7.26 (or something on that order) great stuff i've personally never used anything better...ive gotten guns as clean as a whistle with other solvents and then followed them with the sweetes and the patch came out blue...not the best smelling stuff in the world but for coper fouling i've not found anything better
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Sweets then JB paste if its really cruddy.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used Hoppe's #9 for years and still keep it handy for tough jobs, but I mostly use foam nowadays. Works fine for most cleanups.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Montana Extreme 50BMG is as good as sweets, BUT, it won't hurt the bore if you leave it in for extended periods. It is quick on copper and great on powder.

Wipe-out kills copper in 24hrs or less with the accelerator (probably much less, but I fill the bore and walk away till tomorrow). This stuff makes drips out the muzzle look like blueberry jelly or dark blue ink[:0][:D] The copper just melts away into a liquid.[^]

50BMG is nasty on powder fouling, especially with a few brush strokes.

Kroil will work the same in storage, it will lossen any remaining carbon fouling.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I use surplus GI bore cleaner to get the carbon out, and gunslick foaming to get the copper out; I also find letting it sit an hour is just about right. Let it go longer than the 15 min they recommend.

That said I only remove copper perhaps every 5th firing.
  • Options
    ContacFrontContacFront Member Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for Wipe Out.

I use it to clean all my bores. Give it a decent hit with a brush to get most of the heavy fouling out and then leave Wipe Out in the bore for 24 hours. Patch her dry and she is good to go.

I notice that my cold bore shots are very predictable using this method of cleaning.

Hey JustC! How is the other side of the planet?!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using Wipe Out and its accelerator in my .308 lately.
    Wipe with accelerator to wet the bore and clear out the loose carbon.
    Squirt full of Wipe Out and leave 20-30 min. Patch out, more accelerator, more foam, leave overnight. Patch out.
    First shot hits 2 moa high, second is in the group.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey Vu,..I been doing a little factory class work,..been takin home the wood[8D] But baby #2 is almost here, so I got to fit in my shooting at any given moment, cause there will be a few months I'll be on a short leash[:I] Gonna start working on the 300RUM to go after the 600yd bridgeville DE matches starting at the end of the summer.

so when's the boat coming out of storage??? let me know when you got some talent lined up,..that might be enough for me to jump a plane[:D] I sold mine 3 yrs ago,..........that was dumb[V] But I knew I wanted one capable of Ocean trips and big tuna,...I mean the fish BTW[;)]
  • Options
    pjcarawaypjcaraway Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best copper cleaner I have found and it is easy to use it also will pentrate into the metal of the bore to keep copper fowling down so the more you use it the less copper sticking you will have and the easier cleaning you will have is BORE TECH ELIMINATOR MAKE SURE THAT IT IS THE ELIMINATOR NOT SOMETHING ELSE< THE WEB page is www.boretech.com . Now for carbon cleaning I use the SLIP 2000carbon killer It workes like a dream and you can clean your bolt's and anything else the you * carbon on or in ,you have to treat the metal afterwords with a gun lubricant because the cleaner removes all oil as it clean's the carboned up parts I use SLIP 2000 GUN LUBRICANT AND CLEANERIT WILL REMOVE ANY COPPER THAT YOU HAVE AND IT PENTRATES THE METAL OF YOUR BORE TO GIVE IT LESS FRICTION SO THE BULLET CAN MOVE THROUGH THE BARREL FASTER> YOU CAN GET IT AT www.slip2000.com it is the best products I have ever used and is very easy to use.
    GOOD SHOOTING