In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 brass splitting

bwachobbwachob Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
Posted - 05/20/2006 : 5:43:59 PM

I just finished shooting my 1st CMP match in about 20 yrs. I noticed that about 50 % of the cases were splitting at the neck. I was shooting reloaded .223 that I bought at a gunshow. The rifle is a stock Colt Match Target. The receiver is stamped .223 but the top of the barrel is stamped "C MP 5.56 MM NATO 1/7." Do I need to start shooting 5.56 ammo or is there something wrong with the rifle. I cleaned the rifle the night before the match.
thanx for any and all responses

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Do you have any idea how many times the brass was reloaded. I'd be very leary about buying reloads, unless they come from a large commercial company.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded. The ammo is probably pushing 10 yrs old. I was mainly concerned that it might be my rifle that there was something wring with. If it is just the brass, then it is expendable. thanx
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bwachob
    I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded. The ammo is probably pushing 10 yrs old. I was mainly concerned that it might be my rifle that there was something wring with. If it is just the brass, then it is expendable. thanx

I would guess it's probably work hardened brass. I think it can also harden with age....or that might just be the neck tension increasing with age. The reason I mentioned buying reloads is b/c you may end up blowing up your rifle. I do not trust reloads unless I know who loaded them...preferrably myself. Someone else, with more knowlege will probably weigh in on this.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cannot remember the guy's name. A police friend of mine from Las Vegas turned me on to him, he apparently reloads their practice ammo for them. Never had a single ftf in over 10,000 round bought. Probably just the brass is getting old and brittle from sitting so long.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm in agreement with ECC on this one. It appeas the problem is with the reloads. If you have any questions on that go shoot some new or Blackhills reloads. I'm willing to bet they won't crack. I would consider the rest of the ammunition you got as expendable or, if you want to work with it, pull it apart and anneal it.
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it only takes one mistake
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    99.99 % sure it was the brass
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Buy some factory ammo. You will shortly find out if the gun...or the ammo.
    Factory ammunition will last many years...but several times reloaded ammo has work hardened...then setting up for ten years completed the brass hardening.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for all the info. shot the old ammo in wife's mini-14, same splitting in the neck. got some reman. black hills last week no problems in either gun with that. again thanks for all your help.