In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloaders

bondaibondai Member Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
Which is the best??? Lee Loadmaster or the Dillon 550B....
Pro's and Con's...Thanks

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Dillon...hands down...but I would highly recommend RCBS equipment.
  • Options
    claudehillclaudehill Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do the Dillon.... Always.....
    Things seldom break and their service cannot be beaten.
    Have one 650 and five SDBs plus the Primer Swager.
    Love them all.

Only Lee things to have is the hand primer and the hand press. IF you need to crimp your rifle rounds for semis, the collet crimp dies are OK. Die sets are good and cheap. I prefer Bonanza/Forster and RCBS Benchrest Dies.

Claude in TN

Like McDonald's, 100,000's loaded and fired.....
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon. More durable, better warranty & factory support. Downside: initial cost.
    The Lee will load good ammo but is harder to set up initially and has some small parts that will wear out and need replacing once in a while. Plus side : initial cost.
    Just my .02 cents.........I've used both in the past.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon for progressive hands down. RCBS for single stage. Lee makes some pretty good products as mentioned like their auto prime tool and their taper/factory crimp dies. I like RCBS and Dillon dies much better though.
  • Options
    Remington52865Remington52865 Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    id take the Dillion any day
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Forster CoAx for single stage...take a look at one and you will see why.
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    Dillon 550B is a joy to work with. Love it.
  • Options
    ClaimbusterClaimbuster Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the 550. Been using mine for 15 years.
  • Options
    pjcarawaypjcaraway Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillon 550 is a very good loader,but it takes quite a bit of money to set it up to load several different calibars.THe loadmaster from lee is a good loader and is very fast if you get everthing set right all you have to due is pull the handle and it gose everything automaticly,laod's bullets and shell's and primer's all at the same time and is quite a bit less expensive buy the time you would buy all the same for the dillon you would have 3 time the price of the loadmaster from lee, it dose take quite a bit of time to get everything set right on the lee but if you have a dealer that can set it up for you it and show you how to use it it would be a very good value. One thing I do want to mention if you are shooting in matches you should use a single stage loader like the lee c press,you want to measure every load of powder to the grain and even the bullets and brass to get the same weight because on match shooting if your shooting long shoots you can be off several inches with a bullet you have loaded if everything is not the same weight and power is not the same weight. never change to a different load in the middle of a match because the different bullet will shoot differently and you will be off on you target.
  • Options
    fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dillon 550 is better than the Lee. The Hornady L&L Progressive is better than the Dillon 650.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Trying to compare a Dillon to the Lee is sorta like adding up the differences between a SKS and a FAL.

Either will do the job, after a fashion..sending a bullet down range. One does it with style and grace..the other just exists.

The Dillon will outload, outlast, and out-class the Lee..but the Lee will load ammo.

Money tight ? Perhaps it is better to buy the Lee...and the other 2 hundred bucks can be used for powder and shot..
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You get what you pay for, and their is a reason that LEE presses cost so much less than there RCBS (et al) and Dillon counterparts do.

Off the top of my head, I can give you one thing to look at (before you buy), and that is the warrenty. LEE IIRC is 5 years, while the others are lifetime, find a worn out or broken "top brand" press and they will rebuild/replace it for little or no cost to you.
  • Options
    coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two RCBS Rockchuckers and have loaded several thousand rounds with them. Never a problem with presses. I scratched a sizing die with nickel cases and RCBS polished it for free. I also screwed up my powder measure and, same thing, RCBS replaced it for nothing. My vote is for RCBS.