In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MISFIRES

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
I have a half box of .243 that did not fire. There is a good indent from the firing pin, but the shells did not fire. What could be the cause? They are about 20 years old, and reloads. If I remove the bullets and empty the powder, can I safely remove the primers and reload them? I'm afraid that the primers may go off in my Lee press. Any danger of that? Thanks, Mike

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    A) try the again, you may have only fully seated the primer on the first attempt.

B) You shouldn't have any issues with depriming in the press, just go easy and don't slam it. Normal safety precautions apply, of course.

It takes a impact to set of a primer (you can crush one with a vise without setting it off, but it will go bang if you smash it with a hammer). I've deprimed military brass with crimped in primers, and have never set one while depriming (priming with a "origional LEE", provide your own hammer, tool I've set of a few)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Tailgunner, Thanks. Thats a load off my mind. If I couldn't have de-primed them, I don't know how I would have got rid of them. Mike
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Anything that CAN happen...WILL

Deprime them..but WEAR YOUR SAFETY GLASSES...and keep your body away from the press. Long sleeved shirt...and gloves would be a good idea.
    I had exactly ONE primer go off in the press...something I thought to be impossible.

As o the 'why'...could be many things....from lube left in the case, to improper storing.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello many years ago on my first attempt at reloading I lubed and sized cases and got case lube on the p[rimers and it KILLED about half of them Just a thought might explain why you had a problem .I have also deprimed cases with no problems but I do wear glasses .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all of you for your answers. Highly informative. I'll be careful and wear safety glasses. Mike
  • Options
    rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally if it was my body in jepardy I would let all the spent cases with power and bullet removed sit in a can of oil over night, just a little bit more security that way. The oil should kill the primers from what I have heard.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unfortunatly, with the newer laqure sealents they put over the priming compound, soaking with WD-40, oil, water etc dosn't kill the primer. In addition you have to get any oil residue out of the case before you can reliabily reload it (powder contamination)
  • Options
    coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since I switched to the RCBS Hand Priming Tool I haven't had any misfires. I also use One Shot Case Lube rather than the pad method. In my opinion it is very easy to ruin a primer with your fingers because of a tiny bit of lube on them.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Amazing stuff...spraying with WD-40 MAY not dewat all primers....but a tiny bit of lube left in a case MAY migrate into and kill a primer.

Stuff happens. My final reloading procedure, just prior to priming...is to run every case thru clean corn cobs in the tumbler. A glance into the primer pocket, upon priming, ensures that no cob remains in the flash-hole.