In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Commercial rounds for a garand

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
I want to take the Garand deer hunting this year. I won't do and it is illegal to hunt with FMJ's. Anyone know if 150 or 165 gr. Federal or Remington ammo is functional in the garand without messing up the Op rod? What powder is in these loads? Are they too hot for the garand? I need either a 150 or 165 gr SP round.

Comments

• Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have loaded hunting ammo for the Garand in the past. I used a Speer 150 grain SPBT bullet, IMR4895 powder charge of 47.5 grains, a Federal 210 primer and Remington brass. This load was both accurate and very effective in my Garand. I set the die for the Speer 150 grain bullet by using fmj military issue ammo to adjust the die so that the OAL length would be the same.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try some basic Rem "Green Box" 150gr Coreloks.
    It's not like your going to be shooting cases of the stuff through it. IIRC the powder used is a little on the fast side (less requird = less used = lower cost) but that won't cause the rod to bend (to slow causes bending) but it might cause a short cycle if your gas system is to sloppy.