In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1893 Turkish Mauser

jocamp64jocamp64 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
I have just received two 1893 Turkish Mausers in the mail and am planning to make ammo for them from 30/06 brass and 185 gr Remington SPCL. The powders I have are N135 H4895 Varget and AA2700.
As I understand it full power loads are not safe in these rifles but I don't want to stay with the starting loads because I suspect that these fine German Mausers can take more pressure than that and because that just isn't any fun.
I hope some of you have knowledge, experience etc. ... that you would share with me.

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The 93 does not have the third locking (safety) lug.

Ask yourself, each time you drop powder in a case..." Is making this load a bit hotter...Worth my eyes..or my life ?"

Perhaps you ought to spring for a better rifle..in a hotter caliber..rather then endangering yourself...or other people around you.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have fired the high Ppressure S&B ammo in them and saw no signs of high pressure.
    If these rifles were so weak why were they rechambered from 7.65x53 to the higher pressured 8x57JS?
    After two World Wars and he Balken Wars they are going strong.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just because it was chambered in a potentially higher pressure round like the 8x57JS doesn't mean it was loaded to higher pressure. They may have loaded the issued ammo down to be safe.
    Alot of the small ring Spanish Mausers were rebarreled to 308 Win. but they loaded the ammo to what they called "intermediate" pressure.
    The metal may be fatigued without any outward appearance and could "let go" without any forewarning with the continued use of high pressure ammo.
    Be carefull.............[B)]
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Turkish 8x57JS is incredibly powerful stuff, 154 grain bullet at 3000 FPS. I have not been able to match velocities without exceeding all published data for 8x57 that I could find.

Story goes they were re-heattreated when they got reworked to 8x57. I know of several that were converted to 308 with 1000's of rounds on them. No headspace growth trouble.

So long as headspace checks out, I would have no trouble shooting SAAMI spec 8x57 in one.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by richbug
    Turkish 8x57JS is incredibly powerful stuff, 154 grain bullet at 3000 FPS. I have not been able to match velocities without exceeding all published data for 8x57 that I could find.

Story goes they were re-heattreated when they got reworked to 8x57. I know of several that were converted to 308 with 1000's of rounds on them. No headspace growth trouble.

So long as headspace checks out, I would have no trouble shooting SAAMI spec 8x57 in one.

SAAMI spec for the 8x57JS is pretty low pressure stuff in deference to the old .318" bore diameter bbls.
    Only commercial higher pressure stuff comes from out of the USA, and even if you handload to SAAMI specs it's fairly anemic...........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    These rifles were proofed for 45,000 PSI.
    Metal fatigues. These rifles are 60 to one hundred years old.

Every time you fire a high pressure round in them...you stress the metal beyond what it is designed for.

Eventually, it WILL let go. A local gunsmith wakes up with nightmares several times a month...years ago, he converted several 98's...a FAR stronger action...to various high intensity rounds.

So far...THREE of them have let go..blowing the actions up. So far...the worst one required stitching 3 fingers back on....SO FAR....

You go ahead and do whatever you are big enough to do. Ignoring the facts is a part of freedom...like it or not.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    45,000 psi would be fine with me.
    Commercial ammo is either below 30,000 or close to 60,000 psi with nothing in between.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jocamp64
    45,000 psi would be fine with me.
    Commercial ammo is either below 30,000 or close to 60,000 psi with nothing in between.

Most of the reloading manuals state what pressure their data was tested to in the forward section for the cartridge in question.
    Thumb thru a few and find one that has data that suits your purposes. --- Good Luck..........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the good info and helpful warnings.
    I guess it would be wise to take in mind that these are 110 years old and have gotten a steady diet of hot Turkish ammo from 1936 til they were packed in Cosmoline. It is not worth my life or eyesight to load these to the max.
    It is hard for me to stop short in load development, I have been programed to load til I see pressure signs and then back off. This would not be a wise practice with these old rifles.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Jocamp;
    Nobody here is trying to limit you experiments. Merely wish to keep you in one piece...against the day when perhaps we can shoot against ecah other for the honor of being bought a steak dinner...[:D]