In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Good or bad

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, here is my load(.308)
49 grains of H-380
130 grain SP, Hornady bullet (Flat base)
CCI Large Rifle Primer
Remington Case
Full Length Re-Sized

The gun is a standered Model 11 Savage, with a 3X9 Bushenel Scope(weaver mounts)

At 100yds at best I have gotten 1.5 in groups off a fairly decent rest. Is this good for this gun and my loads (they are compresed loads)

Comments

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    I believe that you can get groups under 1" by experimenting with different powders and seating depths, ect. The Savage is a good rifle...and shoud do better.
  • Noah MercyNoah Mercy Member Posts: 43 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage 12FVSS 308 didn't particularly care for the lighter bullets...as soon as I stepped up to the 168-180 grainers, my groups shrank dramatically. Might try some heavier slugs...I'm sure that rifle will do far better. (Mine routinely grouped under 3/4" at 100 and around an inch at 200.)

Also, an inline seater like the RCBS Competition Seating Die can reduce groups by a bunch. A mild crimp with a Lee collet-type crimper will sometimes yield great results, too.

Another factor could be your scope. Check for parallax, since that could account for a moderate increase in groups. Also try shooting with the gun clean and dirty. Some rifles like a little fouling...my Ruger 300 Win Mag is only an average shooter until about 40 rounds have gone downbarrel sans cleaning...then it becomes a half minute gun.[:0]

The main thing to remember is to change only one factor at a time and honestly evaluate the result. Your rifle will reward you for your patience and diligence!

[:D]
    edited November -1
    I noted the light bullet..but have no experience with them. The twist rate may indeed preclude using them. Another brand of bullet, or varying seating depth, may also help if varmits is the goal.

Trying a 150-168 gr. bullet will reveal if the bullet is at fault...or perhaps one needs to start looking at mechanical problems.

The level of skill of the shooter also ought to be examined.
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes, i though they were a little big, so I will concentratate more (When I shoot sometimes, not the best concentration)
    edited November -1
    I wondered about that. One does not start out calling into question the skill level of a shooter...it only takes a few moments to determine that when standing behind a shooter...

Ask questions, if you wish, about shooting tecniques...there are some VERY accomplished shooters on this forum...and they are not about putting you down.
  • 7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok, I'll post[:)]