In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

IPSC Competition Gun

dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
I shot my first pistol competition in 15 years this past weekend and I am absolutely hooked! I shot a Glock 35 (long slide 40 S&W) and I think that I was at a bit of a disadvantage (against everyone else who was shooting 9mm) due to the extra recoil and being slightly slower on target acquisition.

I am thinking of getting a Springfield XD Tactical 9mm to use in the production class for these competitions. (I don't want a 9mm Glock since I normally shoot 1911's and I found myself aiming up in the air quite a bit with the Glock).

Any thoughts on this gun for IPSC? Also, can anyone give me some pros/cons to shooting a 1911 single stack in IPSC? I have a great Springfield TRP that I think would work well but from what I understand I would have to shoot in a limited class? Thanks!

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see some folks shooting XDs. You might look at the new S&W plastic M&P, too, now that they are shipping 9mm. (I gather you don't reload, I have heard it said that a light loaded .40 is softer to shoot than 9mm ball.)

But your SA will do fine. "have to shoot in a limited class"??? So what? It will enter in Limited-10 or in Single Stack Provisional and be as competitive there as you are. Unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun.
  • shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    get your self a full blown race gun [:D]
    pros the 1911 will work get some 10 round mags and shoot ltd 10
    it makes major and you have one
    the cons you dont get to buy a new pistol [:(]
    the speed and target acquisiton will come
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    For production I would look at a S&W M+P or a CZ-75. I dumped 10's of thousands of rounds through MY CZ-75 without a hitch in production class. The XD would be 3rd or 4th on my list of production guns.

Nothing really wrong with a 1911 for L-10 or single stack div. Make sure you aren't using too powerful of ammo, you will get discouraged in a hurry. A 200 grain bullet at 850-900 FPS is nice to shoot.
  • dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback! I think I am going to pick up the XD (I've wanted one for a while anyway) since this will be an excuse for a new gun but I'll probably just shoot my TRP with some nice light loads for competition.

Thanks for teh tip on the CZ too, now I have one of those on the list! [:D]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read up on "major power factor" before you use too light a "nice light load."
  • dustyholdustyhol Member Posts: 282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    will do! Thanks.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're going to stick to Production division, the Glock 35 shouldn't necessarily put you at a disadvantage assuming you reload. If you reload, you can load some reduced power loads since all you have to do is make minor power factor (Production division folks can't score major power factor).
    FWIW, the Glock 35 has a pretty long sight radius that makes shooting harder shots a little easier compared to many other guns with sight radii that are much shorter.

If it were me, I'd stick with the Glock 35 and reload reduced load .40s.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    With the price of bullets going up so high, use your 45 in limited 10 class. Most 45s will shoot lead bullets as good as jacketed, unlike most 9mms and 40s. Most of the faster production class shooters around here use Glocks with the light disconnector. Others use Sig 226s. In production class get something that mags are cheap for. You can only load ten rounds, but you need the high cap magazines to keep them easy to insert fully. I haven't seen any cheap sources for XD magazines, but they are good to shoot.
  • fire for effectfire for effect Member Posts: 121 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My IPSC gun is a Series 70 Colt 1911 .38 Super with Barsto Barrel, Witchita sights, Gold Cup Trigger and Ed Brown Beaver tale.
  • rediceredice Member Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my Springfield XD Tactical 9mm just for IPSC course I havent been to a match yet been to bussy. But I think it would do it easy. Actualy I have read of guys using them.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    glock 35 is where it is at, you can cover both miner and major with it, 180 grain bullet with 4.0 grains of tightgroup for minor feels like a .22 even compared to a wimpy 9mm, and a 9mm will be hard pressed to make major
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    glock 35 is where it is at, you can cover both miner and major with it, 180 grain bullet with 4.0 grains of tightgroup for minor feels like a .22 even compared to a wimpy 9mm, and a 9mm will be hard pressed to make major

The rules state that you can't make major with a bullet diameter less than .400 in Limited/Limited 10. You can't shoot major in Production Division at all. The only division you can shoot 9mm major in is Open Division.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    quote:The rules state that you can't make major with a bullet diameter less than .400 in Limited/Limited 10. You can't shoot major in Production Division at all. The only division you can shoot 9mm major in is Open Division.

You can shoot as high of a power factor as you want in production, and any caliber you want as long as it is at least 9mm. You don't score the hits as major. Most of my loads I use in production class will make major power factor. We shoot quite a bit of steel, and I want to see it fall.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by haroldchrismeyer
    quote:The rules state that you can't make major with a bullet diameter less than .400 in Limited/Limited 10. You can't shoot major in Production Division at all. The only division you can shoot 9mm major in is Open Division.

You can shoot as high of a power factor as you want in production, and any caliber you want as long as it is at least 9mm. You don't score the hits as major. Most of my loads I use in production class will make major power factor. We shoot quite a bit of steel, and I want to see it fall.

Okay, I guess I wasn't perfectly clear. You won't score major. For those that feel a need to shoot a S&W 500 in Production Division just for poops and giggles, have at it.