In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

remove live primers?

bwachobbwachob Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
I have over 2000 rounds of .223 that the necks are splitting on. I would like to anneal them, but am not sure how to SAFELY remove the unfired primers. Would appreciate any help.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just deprime as usual. It takes a shock to set off the primer, deprimimg won't do it. As long as you don't slam the case into the die you will have no problem.

As a precaution stop every 100 rounds or so and clean out and deactivate the decapped primers.

Oil is a deactivator for primers. motor oil is best.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    223 brass is relatively inexspensive. I would load and shoot them and get new brass. If you remove the primers you will lose around $35.00 (cost of the primers). I have removed live primers by running them though my resizing die. Being sure to wear safety glasses and ear plugs.
  • Options
    bwachobbwachob Member Posts: 40 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was hoping to hear there was no serious danger. bpost, thanks for the oil tip. I hate to waste all that brass.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has been covered before and tested by members but in case this isn't enough, here is a quote from CCI, Inc.:

"Killing" Primers

Q: Can you suggest something to chemically "kill" primers...

A: I checked with the CCI Chemical Department and their reply was that there is no way to "kill" unused primers. Many checmicals, oils, solvents, etc. will temporarily kill modern primer mixes, but when the primer mix dries out or the solvent evaporates, the explosive mix returns to its original sensitivity. --David Andrews

Best.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've deprimed alot of brass with no problems.
    Lee & RCBS both make universal decapping dies ( and probably some other makers ). The Lee works fine and is the cheapest at under 10 dollars last time I looked. I think I gave six bucks for mine quite awhile back.
    They will deprime 22 thru 45 caliber and require no lubrication on shouldered cases. Pretty handy.
    All the big sellers carry them.........good luck........[8D]
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Plese allow me to emphasise;
    WEAR SAFETY GLASSES, GLOVES, LONG SLEEVE SHIRT...and work slowly.

Keep your body back away from the bench. You should have no problems what-so-ever...you are guarding against the ONE primer that may detonate.
  • Options
    dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just shoot them and throw them away. I will give you more 223 brass if you pay the shipping.