In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

25-06 OR 22-250

diangelisdiangelis Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
I NEED TO CHOOSE BETWEEN A 22-250 OR A 25-06, THEY WILL BE USED FOR ANTELOPE OR VARMIT....... I HAVE THE CHOICE OF EITHER IN A REMINGTON BDL FROM A DECEASED RELATIVE THE OTHER GOES TO MY BROTHER......

THANKS

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Tough one...but your answer may be easy.

In some states, 22 caliber anything is illegal to hunt large game with.

Cheaper and wider variety of projectiles, the 22-250 gets the nod.

Amount of powder used to reload, is close in both cases.

The 25-06 gets the nod for being able to reach out a little further.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    diangelis,

The 25-06 is legal in all states for antelope. The .22-250 isn't. It is only legal in some states. The 25-06 is a bit overbore for varminting though.

Edit:

Sorry, I got in hurry and didn't specify what I meant to say. I would take the 25-06 and look for a specific varmint rifle.
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    diangelis,

It depends on the situation. If you are going to be doing a lot of varmint shooting (ex. shooting 400 or 500 rounds at prarie dogs) you would be better off with the .22-250. However, if you are planning on shooting the occasional varmints when you see them, you are much better off with the 25-06. It will be much more affective on antelope and deer sized game and with the bullet selection is a great caliber for anything smaller and up to elk with proper bullet use and shot placement. You will fall in love with either caliber, but the 25-06 sounds like it will meet your needs better.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    diangelis,

This is easier than originally thought.

The Remington BDL chambered in 22-250 comes standard with a 1:14" twist which will stabilize bullets up to approximately 55 gr. The best bullet for hunting antelope in the .22 caliber range is the 60 gr. Nosler Partition, the rest of the bullets in the 55 gr. range are designed for varmints only. You need a faster twist rate to shoot the heavier (longer) bullets. So the 22-250 is not a choice at all for antelope hunting but is a superb varmint killer.

The 25-06 is a great cartridge for antelope and can fill in for varmints when called on, especially if they are a long ways out from your shooting position. The .25 cal. bullet selection covers both ends of the spectrum thoroughly for varmints and deer. There are even some well made long range target bullets in .25 cal. if you decide to try something like 'F' Class target shooting. This would be my choice of the two that you named.

Best.
  • Options
    SnellstromSnellstrom Member Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 22/250 and a .257 Roberts which will be close enough for comparisons. I have used my 22/250 on approximately 20 Deer and Antelope most of which were shot with the 52 grain Barnes X, longest shot was 400 yards and got complete penetration through the lungs and exited with an enormous amount of internal damage. I don't recommend that 90% of the hunters out there take a 400 yard shot let alone any further but I wouldn't hesitate to use this same load to 450 yards if all things were right for the shot ( steady rest, light to no wind, stationary animal, controlled breathing etc.). This rifle using other bullets is of course a fantastic Varminter.
    The 22/250 is truly a varmint round but loaded properly will take deer and antelope cleanly and humanely out to any reasonable distance most people should shoot.
    The 25/06 ( I have a 257 Roberts, fairly close)is a medium game round (primarily deer and antelope) at this game it is very effective and a pleasure to shoot. It can be a varminter but if you were looking for a day in day out varminter go with the 22/250, if you want a medium game round than can varmint hunt go with the 25/06.
    You really need to decide which way you will use the rifle the most and take that lead.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    diangelis,

This is easier than originally thought.

The Remington BDL chambered in 22-250 comes standard with a 1:14" twist which will stabilize bullets up to approximately 55 gr. The best bullet for hunting antelope in the .22 caliber range is the 60 gr. Nosler Partition, the rest of the bullets in the 55 gr. range are designed for varmints only. You need a faster twist rate to shoot the heavier (longer) bullets. So the 22-250 is not a choice at all for antelope hunting but is a superb varmint killer.

The 25-06 is a great cartridge for antelope and can fill in for varmints when called on, especially if they are a long ways out from your shooting position. The .25 cal. bullet selection covers both ends of the spectrum thoroughly for varmints and deer. There are even some well made long range target bullets in .25 cal. if you decide to try something like 'F' Class target shooting. This would be my choice of the two that you named.

Best.

Barnes makes 22 caliber X hunting bullets in the 52-53 gr grain range that stabilize fine in the 1-14" twist bbl ( as noted by Snellstrom ). They will actually outpenetrate the 60 gr Nosler Partition on Antelope/Blacktailed Deer in my experience. I've used them in 22-250 and 220 Swift on Blacktails that are usually a little larger than Antelope with complete penetration at close and long ranges.
    I believe they now make a 55 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet in 22 caliber now also, but I have no experience with them. If they are as good on game as the larger TBBC bullets they should work fine on game.
    Bullet selection is better these days for hunting purposes with a 22 caliber although I wouldn't choose one as my primary hunting gun.
    I have a custom 220 Swift with a 1-12" twist that I built expressly for the use of the 60 gr. Nosler mentioned by nononsense. It is an excellent bullet. I load 60 gr Hornady VMAX bullets and the 60 gr Nosler with the same powder and they hit to almost the same point of aim for quite a distance. I use the VMAXs for varmits and carry the Noslers for shots of opportunity at larger animals.
    I think your question is answered by what your primary use will be. The 25.06 is to much powder and recoil for a primary varmit gun, but is a better hunting caliber than the 22-250, and the 22-250 is too small to be your primary hunting caliber but will work on smaller/medium game like Antelope & Deer.
    Just decide which one you need the most and go with it.
    Good Luck..........................................[8D]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    diangelis,

Your predicament is the obvious reason for your relative having both rifles, it's the correct solution. Having both takes all the pain out of deciding on one. Pick the one that you'll use the most for the time being then go get another rifle to handle the chores of the other pursuit. Easy...not cheap, easy. But you are getting one as a gift and a legacy of your relative so you only have to spend money for one rifle.

I agree with the points made by temblor and Snellstrom and I again will state that there will always be exceptions to the generalities. But exceptions don't run the world, the generalities do. Most and I stress MOST hunters/shooters neither practice enough or have the ability to use a small caliber cartridge as a primary hunting tool. I've used the .223 Rem. for deer hunting and I have harvested game with it. Do I recommend it for every other hunter to use? Absolutely not. It's fine to be an exception but that most assuredly isn't the rule.

Good luck with your decision!

Best.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great advice from all, I have both 25-06 and 22-250. If this helps,
    I live in CA. 22-250 is forbidden to hunt large game.

However, I would not like to shoot 300 rounds in a day out of my 25-06.
    but have used it for Varmint. The 25-06 is a "Do all" round. You can always pick up another Cal latter.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy an TC encore and get both barrels. [:D]
  • Options
    yearofspideryearofspider Member Posts: 1,657 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    diangelis,

Your predicament is the obvious reason for your relative having both rifles, it's the correct solution. Having both takes all the pain out of deciding on one. Pick the one that you'll use the most for the time being then go get another rifle to handle the chores of the other pursuit. Easy...not cheap, easy. But you are getting one as a gift and a legacy of your relative so you only have to spend money for one rifle.

I agree with the points made by temblor and Snellstrom and I again will state that there will always be exceptions to the generalities. But exceptions don't run the world, the generalities do. Most and I stress MOST hunters/shooters neither practice enough or have the ability to use a small caliber cartridge as a primary hunting tool. I've used the .223 Rem. for deer hunting and I have harvested game with it. Do I recommend it for every other hunter to use? Absolutely not. It's fine to be an exception but that most assuredly isn't the rule.

Good luck with your decision!

Best.

If your going for antelope, go with the 25-06. nononsense explains it best[;)]
  • Options
    ern98ern98 Member Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, let try it form another angle. Which rifle fits better with your existing, if any, and future rifle collection? If you already have a good long range deer rifle get the 22-250. If you already have a good varmint rifle get the 25-06. They are both great cartridges and you will probably be please with whichever you pick and jellous of your brother for what you didn't....