In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any tips?

i shoot at a local club every monday night(trap). i use a remington 870 express 20 gauge and rio 2 3/4 in. shells(club supplies them). I can usually shoot a 13-14 out of 25. i am fairly new to trap. is there any suggestions that you could give me to improve my score?

thanks

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Find the local hot shot and get some on the ground instruction. Somebody that knows what they are doing can watch you and give instant feedback as to what you are failing to do.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advice from Highball.
    If you can, get a twelve gauge. If you can't right now see if you can use a friends that fits you well. Use a full choke. Wider chokes will make you lazy at closer ranges and pick up bad habits that will show up when you move farther back.The 20 puts you at a disadvantage.
    There are training tapes that show leads from the shooters end that may be usefull. Use a good cheek weld to the stock and keep it there. Concentrate & follow thru with your swing when shooting. Don't stop as you shoot. It will make you shoot behind it every time.
    Don't get discouraged. Alot of it is mental.
    Good luck..........
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy a set of shooting glasses, and tape a piece of scotch tape to the non-dominant eye lense. Learn to shoot with BOTH eyes open, but focusing with the dominant eye. My Father-in-law was heavy into skeet/trap/sporting clays and won several nat'l titles. He taught us about the both eyes open method and the follow through during the shot (as mentioned) and we all became instantly better shooters.

Since learning how to bring the gun up, and how to use both eyes, I have been a much sharper wingman. I went 75% in Argentina (31XX out of 4000 shells)

Find a match shooter at the range, and pay for some lessons, they will make you a better shooter and they are for the most part, very accomodating people. Match shooters are always willing to help someone along.
  • Options
    DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    i have a 12 gauge browning bps that would probably work great. i am going to change the front bead on it though. i will also purchase a full choke too. thanks for the tips
  • Options
    ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you raise yor head to see if you hit the bird,you will prolly miss it.Cheek weld and follow through are very very important.
    Remember in trap the bird is always rising so a 'field gun 'that shoots flat is a disadvantage right off.
    I belive it was the Rmeingon web site that had a ton of info on just how to positon your body at each station.YOu might check for that info.
  • Options
    RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hit the bird while it's on the "rise"....taking the shot after it reaches the apex and on its way down much harder.

Most shooters call "PULL" with the gun barrel pointed at the top of the trap house.....try pointing the barrel at the "base" of the trap house or on the ground before calling the bird. This allows the shooter to get on the target quicker with more time before the target reaches the apex of its flight.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Watch the target not the front sight on a gun that fits you well.
    A center bead on a rib will also help gun alignment.
    I reworked a 20 gauge 870 for my 12 year old fishing partner and he now breaks at least 20 out of 25 with it using a modified choke. I have to really hustle to keep ahead of him.
    If I slack off for a second that little varmint will beat me.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A 20 ga is at a disadvantage. Get a 12ga with a full choke barrel.
    JM
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Keep the 20 and learn how to shoot it. That will sharpen you up better then the 'spray and pray' 12.....