In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What die does what?

PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just got my first reloader in the mail today. Im going over everything and trying to figure out which die does what function. The press is a H&C C style single stage press and im using a Lyman 3 piece pistol die set. One says "Lyman Exp die m-1", I figure that this is the expanding die, then theres the "Lyman TC 38/357 FL" die, obviously the taper crimp die, and lastly theres the "Lyman 38-357 DA" die, I dont know what this one does. Does it seat the bullet? compact the powder? or what?

Also, are any of the dies double function. Does one of them also cap and uncap primers and seat the bullet, or what?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should buy a basic book on reloading before you get yourself in trouble. I can personally recommend Richard Lee's "Modern Reloading".

If you don't do that, at least go to the site at this URL.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/adjust_reloading_dies.htm

What ever you do be carefull! The burning rates of reloading powder vary exponentially, be sure your using the correct powder!
  • Options
    dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definitely buy a book. Lots of worthwhile info & I'd suggest the Lee Loading Manual and "ABCs of Reloading".

A 3 die pistol set can have 1 die to size (is it carbide or regular?) a 2nd to expand & deprime & a 3rd to seat & crimp. Or, the 3 pistol die set can have 1 die to size & deprime, a 2nd to expand & a 3rd to seat & crimp.

I use both & they work equally well. The Lymans are a good product but I don't care for the Lee dies - don't like the rubber ring as compared to the other locking rings.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    You do, indeed, absolutely MUST get a couple reloading manuals..and read them.
    Anything else is the equivilant of playing with old dynamite. Get with someone around there that reloads...and look over their shoulder a bit.

Your dies.
    "Lyman TC 38/357 FL";
    This should be the full length resizing die...and should have a depriming punch protruding out the bottom.This die resizes and deprimes the case.

Lyman Exp die m-1",
    As you surmise, this die 'bells' the mouth of the case..allowing a lead bullet to be seated without shaving lead off the case. The expansion only needs to be SLIGHT...just enough to start the bullet.

"Lyman 38-357 DA;
    Don't know what Lyman is calling this..but this should be your bullet seater and crimper.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

For a Lyman three die set, the dies should be:

1. Full length resizing and Decapping Die
    2. Two Step Expanding Die
    3. Bullet Seating Die

The die set should have come with instructions and a brief explanation of how to use and adjust the dies. It would be wise to spend some time and read the instructions. Reloading is fun but you have to be very serious about safety. No one else is in charge of quality but you. Please do some reading and make sure you understand everything before you start.

Regards,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    PieceofpaperPieceofpaper Member Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info guys.

A very generous fellow on here that goes by "cussedemgun" messaged me a few days ago and said he would send me a book called "The ABC's of Reloading". I suspect I will be recieving it in the next few days, I will wait until then to start reloading.

Thanks again guys.
  • Options
    RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TC= Tungsten Carbide Full Length sizing die.
    DA= Double Adjustable. You can adjust both the crimp and the bullet seating depth.
    Is that a C&H, rather than an H&C press?
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    I moved this Topic to the Reloading Forum:
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    BOOKS, BOOKS, and BOOKS.

Read them cover to cover. I recommend the Speer Manual, The ABC's of Reloadins and the Hornady manuals.

Read them before you even worry about what die does what. They will show you everything you need to know.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Then go back and re-read this post.

quote:Originally posted by cubslovers
    BOOKS, BOOKS, and BOOKS.

Read them cover to cover. I recommend the Speer Manual, The ABC's of Reloadins and the Hornady manuals.

Read them before you even worry about what die does what. They will show you everything you need to know.
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree strongly with the others that you should do a good bit of reading or at least "apprentice" with an experienced reloader before you begin reloading--there's just too much at stake.

Having said that, here is a link to the Lee site which has video demonstrations of how each die is adjusted.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1151910464.5077=/html/HelpVideos/video.html