In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

First time reloader OAL question

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I am loading my first batch of bullets. The book says this bullet should have an OAL of 1.175" and I have produced my first at 1.214".
Obviously I can adjust the length buy turning down the seating die, but, do I have to? How much leeway is there? Any help is appreciated.
I am loading 185gr. HP FMJ 45acp with 5.0 gr of Bullseye.

Comments

• dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Should follow the recommendations for that bullet.

Do not want a fail to load, or, worse, fire with a partially open chamber (hard to do, but could happen if you have a "loose" pistol)

There is better pistola and reloading experts here.....wait for their answer.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leeway will depend on your barrel. Basically, you don't want the bullet to be seated so long that it is right up against the rifling or you'll get a spike of higher pressure.
    On the other hand, you don't want your round loaded so short that it's causing abnormally high pressure due to reduced case capacity.
    You also don't want it too short/long such that it causes malfunctions when chambering.
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I appreciate the help. I went back and reset the die to the recommended 1.175". Since I am just starting out, probably better to
    not assume anything. I am working with a 185 gr. HP, not a FMJ.
  • RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matchshot
    Assume Nothing!
    Mpolans raises a very valid point. If your OAL is shorter than specs, you have decreased the case capacity. A decrease in case capacity of say 10% might increase the pressure by 35%. Similarly increasing a charge by only a few percent could result in pressures beyond the tolerances of your gun. Reloading is fun but always make safety your first priority.[;)]
    Her's a link to the story every new reloader should red:

http://iris.nyit.edu/~bithead/anaconda/story.html

3e2350e3.jpg
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello There are many ways of deciding on OAL of 45acp a number of things need to be considered. #1 it has to be short enough to fit in the Magazine. #2 as mentioned by other post if you seat the bullet too far down it can reduce the cases powder cap. and cause higer pressure. I have been loading and shooting 5000 - 7500 rounds of both BALL and target loads of 45acp per year for well over 30 years. I take each pistol I load for and remove the barrel and match the loaded round to the barrel . I seat the bullet so the case head/base sets .005 - .010 below the the back end of the hood of the barrel. This gives me a round that does not jam into the rifleing but will help to get the pressure up on a straight walled case at the start of the powder burn. a longer OAL will also have less feed trouble.If you pull the bullet on match BALL ammo you will see it is coated with a black "TAR" like coating It took me years to be able to load ball ammo that would shoot as well as G.I. match . a 45 case does not have enough BULLET PULL if it has a long jump to the rifleing.I use a taper crimp to .469 but be aware some cases are thinner TZZ , REM-UMC then you may be able to press Ball and other bullets down in the case with just light pressure on the nose of a loaded round . This movement of the bullet can and does happen with thin cases and small bullets .450 when the nose of the bullet hits the feed ramp on loading and can and does cause high pressure. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN"
  • MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see, the book loading data oal for the 200 gr. lswc bullet I am loading may work but is not the best for my model 70 Gold Cup. This may be a dumb question but is there data out there for various loads specific to specific guns? I am going to try measuring as you suggest.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Each pistol and each barrel May be different The reloading manuals give a OAL that should work in most any barrel that is shipped from colt or other 1911 clones . However if you reload you can not only save money over factory ammo but can match the ammo to your pistol. . If you are going togo to the trouble to reload my opinion is to load the best ammo for your gun."PRAISE THE HARDBALL GUN"
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check to see if the OAL listed is a minimum or maximum. I have seen it both ways. Usually it is a minimum. Most times OAL is listed its to insure it will fit into the magazine, without creating excessive pressures.