In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Camp Perry National Matches Team Eligibility

AmmoRatAmmoRat Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
Could someone give me some information on team eligibility for shooting in the NRA Conventional Matches held at Camp Perry in two weeks?
My question is if you shoot in the Service Class as an individual can you shoot on a civilian state association team? I have been shooting as a civilian and on the state association team but I would also like to compete for the Curtis LeMay trophy for the highest scoring Air Force individual during the individual matches but do not want to give up my spot on the state team. I am 99% sure that you can not shoot in the service class and then shoot teams as a civilian but I do not have an NRA rule book to look it up.
I will be shooting this year as a civilian but I have plans on next year as shooting in the service class even if it means giving up the state team.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello I ran the Va. state CIV. teams for over 20 years until I retired last year. You can shoot on NRA teams IF you get no support from your military unit "NO AMMO NO GUNS NO HOUSEING NO TRAVEL EXPENSES" other wise you are out of luck. DCM/CMP rules differ slightly. THIS will be the first year since 1974 that I will miss going good luck "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" 10 times PRES. 100
  • Options
    AmmoRatAmmoRat Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info Perry Shooter. I'm just getting back to shooting again after being deployed for the past two years. I've been shooting a couple hundred rounds each night after work to try and get my scores back up to were they should be. Combine the two year break and a hammerli SP20 that has decided it doesn't want to function and it is tough getting those scores back up. I have alway shot the service pistol matches as military but the NRA individual and team matches I shot as a civilian. The NRA rules are not real clear as to if I can shoot as service and still be on the state team. It does mention some service and police shooting on state association teams but I am not sure if it legal for the National Matches because of the Service Teams being present. I do not get support from the military, other than my paycheck but I would like to shoot for the Curtus LeMay trophy for the high Air Force shooter.

Congratulations on the 10 time President 100. That is only a dream of mine. I shoot in the service pistol matches but I do very little practice with the ball gun so it is my own fault for not placing. I always shoot in it because your at Camp Perry and at the National Matches so you might as well step up with the big boys and see were you place.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Ammo rat. Please be aware that if you shoot on a state CIV. HARD-BALL Team it will limit the chance of you ever shooting on a MILITARY funded team. The rulls allow no more then 3 men on the 4 man team to have ever shot on a HARD-BALL team at CAMP PERRY before. The forth member has to be a "NEW" shooter. so if you shoot as a CIV. then you are less likely that a military team will want to fund you as most Military teams have plenty of experanced shooter but are looking for a new shooter they can use for their future "NEW" shooter and will spend money on you for guns, training, support. The CIV team that I have been Captain on for 20 + years Won the ball match for the 3th time so I retired and decided to go out on a high note. My suggestion is NEVER shoot on a HARD-BALL team until you are allready distinguished. "PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" Karl