In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cleaning sizing lube from case.

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
Can I throw my resized cases into a tumbler to clean the sizing lube- or do I have to sit there and wipe them off by hand?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Medium corn cob media works rather well for the purpose you need.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Yup..The above post nailed it. Give them one last visual, afterwards...wearing light or latex gloves. Check for splits, anomilies...and cob in the flash-hole.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the lube is water based, then you can use 1/3 white vin and 2/3 boiling water. Throw the cases in and shake them around for a few min, then dry.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The drying process has always bothered me. As in..how to do so without leaving small drops inside the case.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    The drying process has always bothered me. As in..how to do so without leaving small drops inside the case.

Wipe them all out with a paper towel. The inside of your cases will be spotless
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use filtered water, rinse vigourously, dry on an oven rack with the door just propped open on low temps. The only spots left would be any minerals from the water, which will have no effect on internal volume or the powder itself. At least I havn't had any issues of degraded powder up till now. The RCBS lube is water based, so the boiling water and some vinegar dilute is quickly.

one thing I will do is to make sure I dump the water while it is still very hot and come back with more boiling water to final rinse,..keeping the cases very hot so the lube stays diluted.

If I use Imperial die wax, I will tumble them to be sure. I always tumble if I have turned the necks since the mandral introduces a LOT of lube to the inside necks and shoulders.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Dillon spray lube. It is an alcohol and lanolin mixture. I rinse my cases in very hot water when done. I shake them out then I let them dry in a towel shaking them once and awhile for an hour or two. Then I dump them into corn cobb media and add a little rubbing alcohol for about 1/2 an hour leaving the lid off for evaporation. Clean, dry and no lube.
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much for the replies!
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also use my tumbler with the corn-cob media to clean the lube off of the brass.It just shortens the life of the cleaning property of the media.Make sure you clean out the primer pocket and flash hole before reloading though.Just my .02
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I use a tumbler sometimes, but if I've sized a LOT of cases, boil them in an old deep frier basket in a pot on the stove with some water and dish detergent; then dunk them in a bath of hot clear water a few times to rinse. Then I pour out the cases, let them cool, upend them to dump out any water, and put them back in the basket in the oven on about 175-200 for an hour or two.

Sometimes I also use a propane torch on the base of the case; if you heat it just until the water flashes off, I have found it doesn't anneal or do anything to the brass. Downside is it is one at a time that way.
  • Options
    RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Salzo--What kind of cases are you working with?
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geeez, what a fandango - I just givem a quick wipe. Its real quick and the wife wont let me use the oven anyway
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I quote: just givem a quick wipe. Its real quick

Works unless you are doing a thousand or so at a time.

Plus one other thing. Without alcohol on that rag..you are leaving a thin coat of lubricant on that case.

One procedure for test-firing a re=barreled rifle is to lightly lube a factory round and fire it. This in effect makes a 'Blue Pill' load..increases back-thrust on the bolt to simulate a 70-75,psi overload.
    ANY amount of lube left on a case increases pressures.