In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need suggestions for a range rest

salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
In the past, I have used 3 2x6s with a notch nailed together, and a rear bag. This was adequate for my sighting in. It was used strictly for sighting in hunting rifles with factory loads, and was "good enough" for my purposes.
Now that I have gotten into reloading, I am not satisfied with this set up. Some days I shoot great, then other days using the same load, there is a big difference-still fine for hunting, but I want to find some type of rest that is consistent, so that I can rule the rest out of the list of variables.
I dont want to spend a lot of dough, but I will if I have to. It would be used at a 100 yard range. ALSO, it must be adequate for a left hand shooter(dont know if that matters, but as a lefty, I get used to asking that question).
Thanks.

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uncle Buds Bull Bag 15" model in Tan/brown (better grip than cordura). You'll have $60 + sand in it and it is very steady without paying for a Rest. I added a small wood paltform for mine to sit up on so I can use the rear bags as well. I still ise that off the hood and such, even though I have rests now.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Anybody around you handy with a sewing machine ? Sew up a jeans leg in the shape of a BullsBag...and save your money for a heavy cast iron front rest. Will serve you for a lifetime. You will still need a small bag for the rear...My memory refuses to reveal the precise name of the one I have at this moment.

The front rests have screw elevation adjustments...and the really fancy ones have windage adjustments. After you get it...you will wonder HOW you did without it for so many years.

Do NOT buy one of the 6 pound wonders out there...made of beer cans. You will not like them...a good rest will weight 20-25 lbs.
    I use a XBR Wichita Arms 1000 right now...and it isn't heavy enough.
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pants legs filled with kitty litter. Cheap and work good.
    JM
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Hmm....blonde, brunette, or redhead?

Sorry....that just slipped out.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can send you a picture of a rest made from a scissor jack from a jap car. I had all of about 50 cents in it when done.

It works slicker than snot on a door knob.

Email me if you would like photos.

Credit for the idea and the jack goes to mrbruce.