In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Removing Moly from bullets??

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
I think I got a great response from nononsense at one time, but can't find the info.

How do you remove Moly from bullets? I think there are several cheap and fast tricks out there[;)]

Comments

• Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had some Nolser 7mm bullets that were home coated by a guy. I tossed them in my tumbler in treated corncob for about 3 hours and they are as clean as the day they were made. His moly job might not have been to good though.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC,

Fastex Moly Remover

Montana Xtreme

Blue Wonder Gun Cleaner

Now if you want fast, you can use one of these two chemicals but remember to wear good rubber gloves and do it outside or in a superbly ventilated area:

Acetone

MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) Don't breathe this or get it on your skin.

Be careful.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    nononsense,..I just get some MEK and throw the bullets in? I guess I stir them a few times and then drain the bullets in a few hours?

Also, whats the deal with MEK on the skin? I hope it's not too dangerous,..I have used it to wash paint off my hands[:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

Yes, I use glass labware or stainless steel but just about anything will work so long as it's not plastic or some such. SS will work better for sloshing bullets around in quantity and there's less hazard from breakage. A simple SS pail from a home store will work.

I guess I shouldn't alarm folks with some of these warnings but I used to have to use these chemicals frequently and they can be nasty over a period of time. It works great for getting rid of lubricants when making bullet jackets and bullets. I've done everything but take a bath in the MEK and I got headaches like you wouldn't believe. That's why I suggest doing things like this outside and away from others. Wear good synthetic gloves that aren't affected by MEK. Don't take my word for this, here is some additional 'official' information and links:

Hazard Summary-Created in April 1992; Revised in January 2000

Methyl ethyl ketone is used as a solvent. Acute (short-term) inhalation exposure to methyl ethyl ketone in humans results in irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat. Limited information is available on the chronic (long-term) effects of methyl ethyl ketone in humans. Chronic inhalation studies in animals have reported slight neurological, liver, kidney, and respiratory effects. No information is available on the developmental, reproductive, or carcinogenic effects of methyl ethyl ketone in humans. Developmental effects, including decreased fetal weight and fetal malformations, have been reported in mice and rats exposed to methyl ethyl ketone via inhalation and ingestion. EPA has classified methyl ethyl ketone as a Group D, not classifiable as to human carcinogenicity.

There is quite a bit more if you use this links:

http://www.epa.gov/ttn/atw/hlthef/methylet.html

http://www.epa.gov/iris/subst/0071.htm

http://www.scorecard.org/chemical-profiles/summary.tcl?edf_substance_id=78-93-3
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Glad you said that, as I was wondering if my usage had been dangerous. I have used it maybe a dozen times. Looks like so far today, MEK loses to sweets by a lot. Sweets took a large percentage off in a few minutes but after soaking in MEK for 1hr, they were hardly touched. I am going to try ME 50bmg tonight.

how about gasoline?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC,

I haven't tried gasoline so I can't speak for its ability to remove Moly. I knew a bullet maker that degreased jackets and finished bullets with Coleman fuel and swore by that as the right potion for the job.

I would run with the Montana, Sweets or Fastex and use it per their instructions. Let us know about the 50BMG test.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, I think 50BMG is maybe a tad slower than sweets. Here we go so far, in order of effectiveness.

sweets 7.62
    montana extreme 50bmg
    wipe-out with accelerator
    MEK
    Blue wonder

The first three are the only ones that showed a marked removal of moly as the copper jacket became visable.

I am going to try something specifically made for it and compare that to the sweets. That should give us an idea of what happens INSIDE the bore by how long it takes and how completely it removes moly from bullets[;)]