In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

17 Rem on Prairie Dogs

No pics, just wanted to give some shooter experience.

Along with the 223, the new to me Rem 700 in 17 Remington went along for the ride.

223 made the longest kill of the day, easy 550-600 yard shot (no rangefinder).

17 did make some dramatic kills. Not the destruction or the "air time" of the big brother 223, but did a superb job. 200-225 yard dog, hit in the right shoulder - tiny entrance, about a 2 - 2 1/2" portion missing from the other side.

Wind was breezy - 3-5 mph constant, with the occasional 10 mph gust (usually just after I squeezed the trigger).

Overall, two thumbs up. Very fast and VERY flat shooting cartridge. I used Hornady 25 gr HP's and 20 gr VMax's. Longest confirmed kills were in the 400 range with the 20 and 25 grain bullets.

The 3-9x40 power Lupi is not going to cut it on this rifle. Needs something in the 6-24x44 flavor to get this one going. ..and MILDOTS! The best range finder! LOL!

Once fired brass, resized correctly, and CCI 450 primers worked the best with H4895 powder (already did some range work, more to go).

Comments

• Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    How loud was the 17? Not that it matters at a quarter-mile, but I'm just curious.

I use a 22 or 22 mag for anything under 150 yards, but then have to switch to my 22-250 for anything longer. Recoil/report is just too much. Keeps their pointy little heads down too long and I miss out on a lot of the impact gymnastics.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Sharper crack than a 223, which is definitely louder than your 22 Magnum.

Not quiet...wish we had a decibel meter...this would actually be interesting.
  • Options
    Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    No doubt. Thanks.