In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

wadding

pajtaspajtas Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
Hi anyone knows where can I get pufflon for wadding? thanks joe

Comments

• pajtaspajtas Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi I am loading 45 acp with 4 grains of win 231 and a 230 grain full jacketed bullet, several times I had a missfire, where the primer went off and the bullet stayed in the barrel the charge did not burn. after a lot of questions I found out that I need to use wadding to keep the powder at the flashhole. I tried to find wadding, and finally I found it at"buffalo arms co.com" they sell the perfect stuff made out of wegetable ruffage. I tried it and it works fine. if anyone needs it Joe
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How about simply putting a larger (recogmended) charge in the case??

Speer recogmends 5.6 to 6.2gr of 231
    Nosler recogmends 4.8 to 5.8gr of 231
    Winchester recogmends 4.9 to 5.7gr of 231

All with a 230gr FMJ
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    How about simply putting a larger (recogmended) charge in the case??

Speer recogmends 5.6 to 6.2gr of 231
    Nosler recogmends 4.8 to 5.8gr of 231
    Winchester recogmends 4.9 to 5.7gr of 231

All with a 230gr FMJ

+1

Are you sure the charge didn't burn or did it burn, not creating the necessary pressures to expel the bullet? Sounds to me that you're cutting 4.8gr back to 4. That is around 15% less than minimum.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello you did not state how far the bullet was down the barrel when it stuck Just a primer alone will send it about 1 inch more then that and the powder has started to burn. Filler is used for light loads of black powder and some slow burning powders in large rifle cases . but 231 is a fast powder and this is a small pistol case . This is a light load however I have loaded over 250,000 light target loads in 45acp for BULL-EYE shooting in the last 40 years and I have never stuck a bullet in the barrel . IMHO you do not need a filler the primer if it is not defective will completely fill up a case as small as a 45ACP with it's flash . I suspect you have either defective powder or primers. Most of my loads I admit are lead but 4.0 of 231 and 200 grain lead gives about 750 FPS... I would think the heavier bullet and being jacketed would just about be a wash and your load would also be about 750 FPS . I think you have componant problem . However I can state from much testing in a ransom rest 230 grain FMJ bullets do not group well at under 800 FPS at 50 yards so if you are trying to load WIMP BALL for CMP/ EIC matches limit your light loads to 25 yard timed and rapid fire You will lose more points at 50 yards with poor ammo then you will make up at 25 yards with light recoil."PRAISE THE HARD-BALL GUN" 11 Time PRESIDENTS 100 winner and 32 times Camp Perry shooter.