In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Meet me in the garage.....at the reloading bench

I will be in the garage, bellied up to a couple of presses and powder measurers.

Just doing 17 Rem tonight....but have room for one more if you need to.

:)

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time well spent...[^]
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    What caliber? LOL!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    What caliber? LOL!

Lately I've been working up some loads for a friends Model 70 in 264 Win. Mag. for Blacktail Deer.
    Looks promising -- Last week it put three 120gr Sierra Pro-Hunters into .43" at 100yds.
    I waited ten minutes for the bbl to cool a bit and the fourth one opened it up to .48" (probably me). The scope has a heavy duplex and it makes it had to hold on the same place on a target.
    Time well spent...[^].........catch you later...........
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5-06AI with H4831sc and 142gr smk's for me yesterday. can't ya smell that smell,...mmmmmm gunpowder[:p]
    edited November -1
    Both of you are reloading EXCELLENT calibers.

My "affliction" with 264 or 6.5's starts with the 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers. I am waiting on the money for an action/barrel/stock for a 6.5x06AI as well.

Look in the load books...there are few rounds that have as high of SD and BC of the 140 gr bullets. Those pencils are just amazing.

The heavy reticles are hard. Do this, use a sharpie and make a square or a circle on your target, so that there is enough white for you to be able to tell that you are centering on a point for aiming.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    agree,..go to a free target website (there is a sticky on here showing one very good one) and download targets with a white circle in the center. I like these very much for even the finest of reticles. The white gives a nice background to aim against.

dcloco, consider this,..hornady lists the 140gr a-max BC at .615,....but all our testing puts them at .625[8D]
    edited November -1
    JustC - I sincerely believe the 264/6.5 caliber is the most overlooked. It takes one large and heavy bullet to get in that range of BC and SD.
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I've had better results by putting a two inch red dot stickum in the bulls eye.I use a target made by Birchwood Casey ,called a shoot.N.C. target.Its an all black background, but turns green when you hit the target.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    6.5-06AI with H4831sc and 142gr smk's for me yesterday. can't ya smell that smell,...mmmmmm gunpowder[:p]

JustC:
    I used to shoot a regular(not AI) 6.5-06 years ago. It's still a great round that should have been more popular than it was/is.
    The AI version is even better...[^], not much difference between it and the 264 Win. Mag.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Both of you are reloading EXCELLENT calibers.

My "affliction" with 264 or 6.5's starts with the 6.5x55 Swedish Mausers. I am waiting on the money for an action/barrel/stock for a 6.5x06AI as well.

Look in the load books...there are few rounds that have as high of SD and BC of the 140 gr bullets. Those pencils are just amazing.

The heavy reticles are hard. Do this, use a sharpie and make a square or a circle on your target, so that there is enough white for you to be able to tell that you are centering on a point for aiming.

I've always liked 6.5s dcloco. If ever there was a under estimated hunting round in the U.S. it's the 6.5x55 Swede. It's accurate and penetrates all out of proportion to it's size...[^]
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice on the targets guys. I've tried all manners of targets over the years. This 264 Win. Mag. isn't a target rifle so I won't worry about it too much. Just working up some hunting loads for a friends gun. He won't be able to hold it that tight from field positions the way he hunts anyway.
    He picked this thing up from some guy he works with and said he was told it hadn't been used in about 12-15yrs.
    It was left standing in a closet upright all those years just collecting dust. The scope was so dirty you could barely see thru it and when he dropped it off with me we were standing outside so I removed the bolt and looked thru the bbl. It was so dusty and full of cob webs, etc. that you could look thru the bbl at the Sun and it wouldn't even hurt your eye.
    It came with an older Burris Fullfield scope with the heavy duplex on it. It's just a hunting rifle.
    It's a post 64 model 70 XTR with a 24" bbl from the early Eighties. It cleaned up pretty well and the interior metal looks almost new, so I think it got carried a little but almost never shot.
    Anyway, I thought sub .5" was pretty good for a bone stock hunting rifle considering it was only the third load I tried in it with Hunting bullets( the only thing that has been changed is that I adjusted the trigger).
    That load with the 120 gr Sierras will be plenty for little Blacktail Deer, and it shoots pretty flat and recoils light.
    The load clocks around 3220 - 3230 fps and with a 200yd zero it's only down a little over 5 inches at 300 yds(around 5.2- 5.3").
    Well I better get off of here before this turns into a General Discussion Forum topic.
    Best Regards...................[^]
    edited November -1
    Temblor - sorry on the left turn.

.5 is definitely acceptable for the purpose.
    edited November -1
    Heading to the bench in about 30 minutes. Midway order arrived....have 300 17 Rem to load.

Might load some 223 with 69 gr Sierra HPBT's as well.