In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

244/6mm Remington --

While cleaning out my fired brass supply, I found approx. 60 cases that I have never reloaded for (this caliber). Some are Browning cases marked 6mm Remington and some are R-P cases marked 244 remington. Does anyone reload this caliber, and how common is it? Because of the longer neck, it seems to me that this would be a better cartridge to reload than the 243 Win.
What should I do with these cases, toss them? Some have tarnished spots on them but I think the brass would be O.K. for reloading.
MVC-602S.jpg

Thanks---Peabo

Comments

• Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Probably best to toss em unless you know someone who needs then for a particular reason.
    Usually better to start off with new brass of all the same make whenever your going to reload for a certain caliber.
    Your right about the long neck being better, but the 6mm/244 is slowly going the way of all good things while the 243 is still on a roll. I still prefer the 6mm......
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is cartridge that I (amoung others) reload for.
    It is basicly a 7mm Mauser (or 257 Roberts) necked down to 243.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    peabo,

It's a great cartridge. I loaded for it many moons ago. I am now about to pick up my newly customized 1908 Brazilian Mauser with a shilen barrel in one. Of course all the things to make it accurate have been done. We'll see how it works out.

Personally, from what I've seen recently, the 6mm is on a sort of a comeback. It is nowhere near where the .243 still is as far as popularity though. A great round never the less.
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great for necking down to 22- 6mm a little hotter than 220 swift
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all for the info. After cleaning them in the tumbler, I had 78 cases. Most all had tarnished places on them and not worth mailing half way across the country ---- I chunked them !

Thanks---Peabo
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    You youngsters didn't live thru the years when finding brass of ANY discription was a major endeavor. Todays luxory of throwing brass away is as foreign to an old timer as would be throwing away a gun...just ain't done !!

I believe that that day will come again..what goes around, comes around.....

Besides..having a good big double-handful of brass for a caliber you don't have...is a good excuse to get one !!

I bought a goodly supply of .223 WSSM brass a few months back from a guy that got rid of his...then, when the little Browning came along..the price was entirly too good to pass up...'specially since I have all thet brass, you see....
  • Options
    peabopeabo Member Posts: 3,098
    edited November -1
    Highball, you are exactly right ! That is probably why I kept this brass for so many years. Right now I am in the process of down-sizing and eliminating all that I am not currently using.
    I also have some reloading dies in calibers that I have never reloaded for. Am looking for new homes for them.

Thanks---Peabo