In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22 Hornet / Small Pistol Primers

ClaimbusterClaimbuster Member Posts: 38 ✭✭
I have read several articles on reloading the 22 Hornet and its wildcat offspring that suggest using small pistol primers. Anyone help me with why and what is the advantage.

Comments

• Options
    rusty3040rusty3040 Member Posts: 131 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i never could get my hornet to shoot much under 2 inch groups at 100 yards with rifle primers , however with pistol primers it shoots well under 1 inch groups ,
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think the reason most of my 22 hornets shoot better groups with small pistol primers has to do with 2 factors #1 is the fireing pin and it's spring are either a modified rimfire design or in the case of many higher grade bolt actions the bolt body is so small in diameter that the spring is smaller then full size bolts and being the cup of the primer on pistol primers is softer / thiner a pistol primer is easier to set off . This results in more uniform ignition. The #2 reason is the small rifle primer may have too much priming compound for the small case volumn of a 22 hornet. This is just my opinion and your mileage may vary but most of my hornets shoot better with small pistol primers. only my Sharps Borchardt shoots the same with rifle primers.???
  • Options
    tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mine shoots better with the small pistol primers-dont know why but it does-2" groups to 1" groups

someone told me it was because of a hotter spark, and spark volume
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Perry on this one. I've found that small p. primers and Lil'Gun powder produce spectacular results. I'm curious though; think I'll load a couple of batches with rifle and pistol primers and see if velocities are more uniform. I'm suspecting yes, as the accuracy certainly points in that direction. I've also had good luck with the Lee factory crimper, though Meacham has convinced me I can do at least as well with 0000 steel wool cleaning of the inside neck prior to bullet seating. (no crimp)
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have two Hornets, and they both prefer Small Pistol Primers-particularly Rem 1 1/2's.
    Pete