In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Idea for reloading tool/ is patent worth it

I have made a tool that will help the serious reloader get the absolute best uniformity but with all the various tools out there and all the hassle and outrageous fees for a patent would it be worth getting. I have done electronic patent searches and can find very little to do with firearms or accessories especially reloading tools is there a reason for this?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    My suggestion would be to come up with how much it would cost to manufactor each item and come up with a profit figure on what you think most reloaders would pay for it times the number of reloaders that would buy your product . and then remember the cost for a patent is $25,000.00 + or - for the most part it would only pay for a large volumn item. I had a gun accessory fot bulls eye shooting but because of the low volumn I have just made the items and sold them No-one has copied my item yet.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    You can also "register" the idea.

Do NOT put in measurements.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Couple ways to go about this.
    Since most of the expense of obtaining a patent is for research on prior art, and there are several patent-portal libraries around the country; you could do most of the preliminary research yourself and save a bundle.
    Another way to go would be to contact a manufacturer of reloading supplies (Redding, Dillon, CCI, etc.)to see if they have an interest in purchasing the idea from you for a hefty fee.
    Good luck however you decide.
  • Options
    BudRBudR Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was going to patent something once but I found out that having a patent doesn't prevent someone from copying you. All it does is give you the right to sue for an infringement. And the worst part is that NOBODY but YOU polices for an infringement. It's up to YOU and ONLY you to find out if someone in Timbuktoo is copying you.