In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Max. Lenght

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought some new bullets today, what would be the max. lenght for these; here they are...

First Gun:
Savage model 11

Load:
165 grain soft point Speer flat base bullets
47 grains of H-380
CCI Large rifle primer
Remington case

What would be the max. length of the loads?
Thankyou

Comments

• Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thumb rules: Minimum of 1 bullet diameter inside the neck, and at least .030 shorter than the max mag length (unless your planning to use it as a single shot).
    Speer tested that bullet at a OAL of 2.800, SAMMI max OAL for the 308Win is 2.810
  • Options
    7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just worried about having the bullet seated to low in the case, therfore causing pressure problems. so did I get it right.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7.62x39
    I was just worried about having the bullet seated to low in the case, therfore causing pressure problems. so did I get it right.

I don't know, as you haven't mentioned what you set your OAL at.
    If you haven't already done so, you need to pick up a loading manual or 2 (esp the one for the brand of bullet your going to use). Bullet construction and design are 2 major variables in pressure, the manfacture of your bullet is going to provide the best data for that bullet.
    IIRC I have something like 12 loading manuals plus a couple of software programs and access to a couple more manuals, available to me to select receipies from.