In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shooting Games

greystonegreystone Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
Years and Years ago my old buddy Jack and myself used to shoot what we called "Beer Cans at 300 Yards". We shot in an large old gravel pit that we had a measured 300 yd range in. We just laid sleeping bags over the car hood for rests. Couldn't see beer cans at that range very well against the gravel background so we had to use bright red coke cans but the name of the game remained. Jack shot a 22-250 and me my still with me today 243. After shooting we would grab our empty cases and get together at night amd make some more ammo so we could do it all over again. I kind of miss those days. Nothin like just shootin!

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A fun one is two pistol shooters. You put clay birds out starting at 20 yards all the way out to about 150, as many as you want.

The first shooter shoots at the clay bird, if he hits it he gets a point. the other shooter gets to shoot at the remaining peices visible on the ground. If he hits the piece he gets two points. this goes on all the way out to "way too far" targets. The targets gain a point in value for distance, the tenth bird is worth 10 points. the shooter does not have to shoot the birds in order. He can go for the farthest one first if he wants to. This is a great way to use up cracked clays in a box or clays that have a pellet hit and would bust if thrown again.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend of mine and I used to lay prone on a road next to an alfalfa field bordered by the desert. Starting about 5:00 o'clock when it got cool enough to lay there. The road layed out with a slight drop out to the corner of the field which was 1/4 mile. Whomever, got the first jackrabbit was a winner. Once they heard the crack of a high powered rifle all the ones laying in the brush had to get to the field and all the ones in the field knew they better get to the high brush where it was safe. Did I mention that jackrabbits have this unbelievable penchant for stopping in a clear area? Anyways, the first winner was forgotten and then the two big 'wins' were; who shot the longest shot and who got the most...taking turns of course, and you shot at your rabbit until he was dead or ran away. Dad was always happy to hear it when we got thirty in one night. Kind the way it is no matter how we hunt jackrabbits...who got the most and who got the best shot of the night.
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    My dad used to take my brother and I up to the old strip mine in PA, it's where I learned to shoot. We would just set up cans at different distances and shoot them with his 22....great times.