In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need help .223 Black hills ammo?

ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
I'm using 52 speer bullets 3031 IMR powder, If anyone knows what Black hills ammo is using I would like to have that information.[8]

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ccddbb95448,

I can't state this definitively but my guess would be that Jeff Hoffman, co-owner of Black Hills Ammunition, buys his powder in a huge quantity, at least canister but maybe even an entire lot number. According to the statement below, their concern is "...accuracy, shot-to-shot pressure and velocity uniformity". These three things can only be accomplished when you buy an enormous quantity of powder which is most probably blended by the manufacturer to your specifications. So even if you call Jeff to ask this question, he might answer Ramshot TAC (just a name to throw in here) but you won't be able to get that batch of powder from any supplier, only a close approximation. That's usually the way it is when you manufacturer millions of rounds a years.

This is the quote I was referring to:

"Components are selected based on a variety of parameters, including accuracy and shot-to-shot pressure and velocity uniformity. Black Hills co-owner Jeff Hoffman is not as limited in his powder and bullet selection as large companies often are. Components are chosen as a handloader might choose them: from all those available. One difference is that Hoffman has the advantage of pressure- and velocity-measuring equipment to help him determine what is really performing better and not simply what shoots best in a single firearm."

Best.