In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

50% LESS RECOIL

mikecarol63mikecarol63 Member Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
Hi; I may be asking a stupid question, but here goes anyway.
I see in the gunshop, they have MANAGED RECOIL 30-06 Remington 125 gr PSP CORE-LOKT shells. The box says 50% less recoil. My question is, Does anyone know what bullet and powder is in these shells? Also how many grains of powder? I just started to reload, and if they are true to their claims, I would like to load my fired brass, so I could keep hunting with my favorite caliber. As it is now, i'm older and feebler, and can't take the kick anymore. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me. Mike

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Recoil is a function of bullet weight and velocity. Lyman reloading guides will have reduced loads for lead bullets that are very plesant to shoot you can subsitute jacketed bullets in these loads but will have slight differance in velocity then lead. One note of caution do not use slow burning powders in large cases for reduce loads this can cause problems.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reducing the weight of the bullet will reduce recoil by a large margin. If you load a 30-06 to 30-30 muzzle velocity you will have the recoil of a 30-30. Shooting lighter bullets loaded to mid level velocities will yield low recoil.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know what that Remington factory ammo has in it (and they won't tell you). You can't even tell if you pull them down because they buy large lots of powder and use pressure testing equipment to get to the pressure/velocity they want with that lot. Then when they change lots of powder they change that bunch of powders load until they again arrive at the desired pressure/velocity. You'd have to have powder from the same canister to get it right.
    The Hodgdon website used to have reduced loads listed for 30.06 and other calibers. You might check there.
    The Speer manual #13 lists loads that duplicate 30-30 Win. ballistics with H-4895 powder and their 150gr bullets.
    Good luck..............[^]

P.S. = The 125gr PSP CORE-LOKT is a Remington Bullet (as with the rest of the CORE-LOKT bullets). They may be selling them as components, if not it probably won't be long before they do.