In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.416 Wildcat ??

I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
I bought a box(16 rounds) of .378 Weatherby empty brass at a show. It was from an estate of a guy who has died. I pulled a couple pieces out and they looked like what I can use for .460 Short A-Square rounds.
When I looked at them at home, I saw that the rest of them had the belt turned off and the necks are now up to .416. Same overall length and rim and case size.
Has anyone seen a completed round or rifle that has been made for a cartridge like this?

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I.Shute,

It kinda makes me wonder if someone had Weatherby brass and wanted something like a Rigby instead...

Best.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    Yea, that's what it looks like.

I just haven't seen anything like it in any lists of wildcats or proprietary cartridges.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rigby brass was once very hard to get, could be that turning off the belts was a cheaper/easier alternative for someone?
    edited November -1
    Absolutely correct. I've done similar things when I've run short of some specialty brass cases. Necessity is the mother of, etc.

Best.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I have to re-set this post.
    In the dimensional data in COTW, 5th, 6th and 7th editions it has the rim diameter of the .378 and .460 as .533 in., but the drawings show it as .582.
    So,--- that's the rim size for the Rigby.
    edited November -1
    I.Shute,

The COTW, The Handloader's Manual of Cartridge Conversions and Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges all have a significant number of errors in dimensions and measurements. It always amazes me that the editors get paid for letting this mis-information continue to get through.

The .378/.460 Weatherby cases that I have measure 0.578" instead of 0.582/3" as the specs call for it to be. My batch of Rigby cases measure 0.585" instead of 0.590" as it's supposed to. But be that as it may, I don't have any problems using any of it in the Super Magnum boltface. The lengths of factory cases aren't even up to the trim length any more.

Best.