In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tight Re-Loads

7.62x397.62x39 Member Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok, sometimes when I get re-loaded .308 a batch of ammo(that I have done), When I go to chameber it in my rifle (bolt action) it is a little tight to close the bolt. The case is below max. lenght, so is the seated bullet, im sure it is full lenghth sized...so my question is, Why is it tight to chamber and how can I fix this; also is it a danger or not?

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    It may not be properly sized. Take a caliper or micrometer and check the case dimensions. It is also possible that the rim of the case has some damage from being fired in a semi or a full auto weapon. I would also check the overall case lenght. Most commecial reloaders do not trim the cases before they reload them. I would also recommend buying a set of small based .308 dies if you are loading these and shooting them in a rifle with a tight chamber.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    So I should just adjust my die till they are properly sized by screwing the die down?

Im sure its not a tight rifle, it is just a savage that is off the shelf and no these cases have only been fired in MY rifle.
  • Options
    likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the brass is new or fired ONLY from that rifle it should not need to be full length resized, only neck resized and occasionally trimmed.

I would check the overall length, if this is not new brass and only fired from your rifle check for signs of excessive pressure, blown or leaking primers, oil dents, or any thing else that looks suspect.
    To answer your question about changing your overall length, it depends on the type and style of your press.

For the single stage RCBS press you will need to set the handle and shell holder in the up position, screw the die in until it just touches the shell holder - then turn it in 1/4 turn more. This removes all play from the press and insures each bullet will be seated to a uniform depth. Bullet depth is controlled by turning the adjustment screw at the top of the die.

likemhot
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks everbody, I got it all worked out.

Thanks and God Bless