In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

N.E.F. Handi Rifle Accuracy

cayugawicayugawi Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I'm looking to buy one of these rifles in .280 and am wondering if anyone has an experience with these. Is sub MOA accuracy possible with good handloads?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to get excellent groups from one of these rifles.
    However, my brother has one in .243 that does not impress me at all. He can only get 3" groups at 100 yds. I think it is his scope, rings or base or a combination. I gave him some loads I worked up that were shooting 3/8" groups out of my M77, and he was getting 3" groups.

I think you will like the .280. I have an ABolt stalker in .280- one of my favorite rifles. I think the Handi Rifle should be capable of 1/2" groups easy with the right load.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get a lemon with any brand/type of rifle, but I have seen shot and shot myself several different NEF Handy rifles and all were suprisingly accurate.
    I don't think sub-moa is out of reach if everything else on the gun is right and you do your part.
    Good Luck.........
  • Options
    DONDALINGERDONDALINGER Member Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Temblor on this. It was not the NEF rifle, it was the scope. My brother bought the scope "used" at a gunshop. I told him to try a new scope and the one he bought probably would not hold zero and that was why it was for sale used at the gunshop.

A few years back I was sighting in my Encore 209 a few weeks before blackpowder season. I could not get the gun to group. I had a European scope on it (B.E.C) and for years the gun had shot incredible groups with this scope. Such good groups that inside of 50 yards, I would take down deer with head shots to avoid ruining meat.

Anyway, after about 50 rounds and becoming so frustrated I was ready to wrap the Encore around a tree, I decided to try a new scope. WALA- excellent groups once again. I have been hunting/shooting for over 25 years and have had only (2) scopes fail out of literally dozens owned.

The other scope that failed was easy to detect because the crosshairs actually disappeared inside the scope body. It was a cheap $50 Tasco and when I sent it back, they sent me one of their top of the line scopes plus a pair of binocs.

Bottom line, I would buy a NEF rifle if I was in the market for sure.
  • Options
    b00merb00mer Member Posts: 975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 223, i've done a little tweaking and its a tack driver at 300 yrds

they not fancym they not pretty, but damn good shooters for the $$