In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 mag load

375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone have a load for a 240 gr lead keith bullet using 2400 ?
I know its not the best powder for a lead bullet , but I just want to get rid of the bullets and powder , Only using them to plink out at the strippins . Any Ho-Butts out there ?

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get good accuracy with anywhere from 14 to 17.5 grains in my .44 special, and up to 21 in my .44 Mag.
  • Options
    MrOrangeMrOrange Member Posts: 3,012
    edited November -1
    THE classic Kieth load for the .44 mag was 22g of 2400 with a 250g cast bullet of, yep, Keith design.

I've read that today's 2400 has a little more zip to it and needs about 5% less powder to make the same bang., so 21g would be a good repro of the original full-house forty-four load.

Should I ask what a "Ho-Butt" is?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As many times as I've seen the "classic" 22 grains of 2400 with the 240 grain bullet printed, I've rarely seen mention of the primer used.
    I do recall on one occasion reading that a standard large pistol primer was what he used. At the time I had been using CCI 350 Mag. primers with 21 grains of powder and getting excellent results. I did a little testing and as near as I could tell the results (i.e. velocity and accuracy ) were nearly identical with either the 350's and 21 grains, or 22 grains and the 300.
    "Results may vary."
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now your talkin' I love that bullet, Lyman #429421, over 17.5 grains of 2400 if loading a "plinker round;" or up to 22.5 grains of 2400 with a mag primer for a bit more snap. Lube is 50/50 ALOX, beeswax.

It has proven to be the most accurate load and bullet combo in all my various .44 mags.

If you have some .44 SP brass you can use that bullet over 9.8 of Blue Dot for a very mild load.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RCrosby
    As many times as I've seen the "classic" 22 grains of 2400 with the 240 grain bullet printed, I've rarely seen mention of the primer used.
    I do recall on one occasion reading that a standard large pistol primer was what he used. At the time I had been using CCI 350 Mag. primers with 21 grains of powder and getting excellent results. I did a little testing and as near as I could tell the results (i.e. velocity and accuracy ) were nearly identical with either the 350's and 21 grains, or 22 grains and the 300.
    "Results may vary."

I saw an article years ago where the makers of 2400 powder said to use the standard large pistol primer with 2400 powder. They said in their lab tests they got more uniform ignition results with a standard primer and that powder than with the Magnum primers.
    I've loaded between 21 and 22grs of 2400 with the standard large pistol primer and the 250gr Lyman Keith bullet for years with excellent results.
    Elmer had it right....[^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you guys hotroders [8)]
    I just got a copy of Hornadys 3rd edition manual ,
    and it lists 240gr bullet ( lead , no gas check )at
    11.7 grs. up to a max of 14.4 grs. of 2400 and a CCI 350 [B)]
    I loaded a few at 13.6 grs . book says 950 F.P.S.
    I,m just plinkin with this load , and don't want any lead
    build up in my 629 [xx(] just want to pi$$ away the bullets [:p][:p]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can't understand 14.4 as max. in the Magnum, or even the Special. Have fired thousands of rounds of 21/2400 with 350's and both jacketed and cast bullets. Excellent accuracy and no sign of problems. That said, I have concluded that for the sake of my ears and other "jar-able parts", pushing that same slug at around 1,000 fps will do all I need, including deer at 50 yards and closer. (My own limit with iron sights and field positions.)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I don't doubt that a bit RCrosby , after all a load manual is not law.
    Its only a report of the results THEY had when they tested their loads.Hornady was the only manual that had a load listed for this bullet and powder combination . Seems 2400 is not the best powder to use with lead bullets ( no gas check ) I,m going to load the rest of em with win 231 . By the way , manuals I checked included Nosler , Speer , Winchester , and Hornady .