In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

JustC or others question

shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
i am in the market for a .338 i am looking at the Sako TRG 42
in .338 Lapua
but i would like the best bang gor the buck here comes the .338 RUM
yalls thoughts on the dollar vs the ballestics(sp)
HELPme make up my mind

Comments

• Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depends alot on what you will be doing with it, and how often you will be shooting it.
    If you're going to be carrying it while hunting, etc. the 338rum is availible in lighter guns as the Lapua requires a very long action.
    The brass is very expensive for the Lapua and makes even reloading it expensive. The Remington components are relativly cheap, unless you are doing serious target work and then you need the high dollar brass for it too. If just for hunting, standard components are fine.
    The Remington is availible in very affordable guns that are good for what they were designed for(hunting, etc.). If you want a long range target/tactical type gun either will cost alot to build right, and the Lapua will be even more do the action needed. This goes back to "what you will be doing with it".
    For normal hunting and shooting use, I doubt you would ever see any difference in the two rounds in the field.
    If shooting out at 800 - 1000yds the Lapua might have a slight edge, but at that range you have to do extensive practice for elevation and windage, and both rounds require alot of elevation adjustment. Not that much trouble to go a few more clicks up for the Remington while you're at it.
    They are both very good rounds. I have both, but since the 338 RUM came out I seldom shoot the Lapua anymore.
    Just figure out what you will be using it for, and how much you will shoot it, then decide.
    For general use, I'd go with the 338 RUM. Your mileage may vary.
    Good Luck whatever you decide on.............[^]
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Balistics boil down to Balistic Coeficent (BC) and Muzzel Velocity (MV). The bullet dosn't care what's on the headstamp.
    Best case is that the Lapua MIGHT (in theory) run 50fps faster than the RUM, but that would be about it. In reality they both run about the same velocity, and given a equil bullet, have matching balistics.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd opt for the 338RUM simply for component reasons already stated. The Lapua brass is expensive, the rem brass isn't. They are very close to each other balisticly and I would venture to guess a 100% load density will be difficult due to the capacity of the lapua.
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    thanks for the advise guys i think i will go with a .338 something[}:)]
    i am leaning to the RUM
    this will be a hunting gun for long ways a way
    and is is nice to have your own range at the ranch for long range practice
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well if you can be talked into wildcatting, I would say the 338RUM Improved (338 tomahawk?) would be a great choice as the shoulders will help keep the pockets for a few more firings.

OR, if you want Lapua case capacity, then try the 338-300RUM or the Improved version.[;)] 300gr SMK [}:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    JustC
    I know Ray Romain did the 300 Tomahawk (300 RUM Imp), and that Lazzeronie(sp) has a 7mm Tomawawk in their lineup, but did Ray also do a 338 Tommy?

Now if you want to go nuts on 'catting you could do the 338-416 Rigby (the Lapua is a shortened Rigby case), or a 338-408 Chey-tac.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954

Now if you want to go nuts on 'catting you could do the 338-416 Rigby (the Lapua is a shortened Rigby case), or a 338-408 Chey-tac.

[:p][:p][:p][:p] Sorry for drooling all over the screen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I suggested the 338 tommy since I knew if it had not been done yet, that the reamer would be an easy job[;)] The problem I see, is that once the case capacity gets much above the 338RUM or a tad more, the load density is a tall order and the throat suffers greatly for not a lot more velocity[B)] I love the "bigguns", you know that[:D][:p] but I have been looking a lot at the throat life and lesser charge weights recently with a good steep (Ackley shoulder) angle. I am beggining to think that a few extra clicks is better for a barrel than the extra powder.[:)] Unless these newer powders now available, like this new US 869 will burn clean and slow enough to make the larger cases more efficient[8D][:p] I got a can and am planning on running it soon in the 300RUM. They told me on the tech dept line that it was a tad slower than the original H870 but not old and deteriorated or pulled down from old military ammo like the H870 or 8700 range stuff out there[:D] It is looking good for the BIG cases these days.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    I suggested the 338 tommy since I knew if it had not been done yet, that the reamer would be an easy job[;)]

Gotcha. Thought for a minute that there was one out there that I hadn't heard of, yet.

I'm still a ways away from having my 300 Tommy built, but the new powder sounds interesting. At least with a hunting rig, the barrel life isn't as much of a concern as it is on a bench gun.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Some of you will remember that a couple years ago I was sold out on the Lapua, but I have since changed my mind on the subject. Some of the newer reloading manuals actually show the RUM edging out the lapua in velocity on several bullets. I would strongly recommend going with the RUM...Although that TRG-42 is one sweet rifle. If you really want performance in a .338, take a look at the .338 Snipe Tac!

http://viersco.com/