In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ballistic tips VS. CT ballistic silvertips

richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
Same bullet? I know the CT is coated, but is it bonded too? Heavier jacket? I have been shooting regular BT's, but came across a deal on BS's. Same load data?

Comments

• temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same bullet except for the Lubaloy coating on the C.T.(Winchester). Both made by Nosler. Same load data and both types of bullet listed on same pages by caliber & weight in the Nosler Manuals. Not Bonded.
    There are a couple of minor exceptions in the sectional density & B.C. being very slightly different in a few calibers, probably due to a little different length to get the same weight with difference in coating vs jacket.
    The C.T. Failsafe is a different bullet, but uses the same load data in the Nosler Manuals.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Better make sure they shoot first,..I have much better luck with naked bullets.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

I loaded 10 last night just to make sure before I loaded all 200.

180's in a 300 WBY.
  • temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC

I'd have to say I've had better luck in most guns with the plain Ballistic Tips too, but some guns have been very accurate with the C.T. bullets.
    What I have found is you have better luck shooting one type or the other. Need to start with a very clean bbl and only have one type residue to deal with, and don't mix the Lubaloy coating with plain jacket stuff. They don't like each other very much.
    If you switch back to plain bullets, clean all of the C.T. coating out beforehand and start with a clean bbl. again.
    They don't mix well, just as regular moly-coated bullets don't mix with plain very well either.
    Just my .02 from personal observation -- Good Luck.......[^]
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    temblor
    Gave you the right info on not mixing the two.If I don't clean the barrel up real good after firng failsafe bullets, what ever i shoot thru it next go around will not pattern for beans.Same thing if I shoot regular bullets then try firing failsafe bullets.