In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ogive length ?

mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
Just exactly how close together should the ogive lengths be on custom bullets.
I just purchased a Redding Instant indicator to add to my reloading toy collection and while checking the custom bullets for my new 6br I noticed that the 80 grain Fowlers were all within a few thousandths of being the same, so that has to be a good thing or I just got lucky on that batch.
But while checking the 105's from a known maker (or at least the guy he bought all the stuff from was known) I find that the lengths are off from a high and low of .043 to .023 with the most of them being .025, or at least 48 out of 200 were at .025 in the indicator....
This can not be a normal thing can it ??

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about the bearing length being different or the distance from the front of the bearing surface to the tip of the bullet??
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    It's the bearing length being different that is measured with the Redding Instant Indicator.
    It will measure the length of a bullet from the base to where the ogive would start to narrow down. Kinda like sticking a bullet in the chamber and measuring what is left sticking out if you could do that.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    unless you are using 2 sets of comparators, some of your dispersion is also due to differences in the length of the boat tail. I use 2 sets of stoney point caliper mounted comparators, one for the base and one for the nose,...that way they both rest on the full caliber portion of the bearing surface and I am ONLY measuring the bearing surface length itself and not including variables from the base.

And yes, the custom pills are very very close in uniformity,..which is why they cost more and WIN more.[;)]
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    If it's the boattail on the new JLK's causing the problem how come the boattails on the 107 Sierras aren't causing any, or the 105 Lapuas, even the 105 Amaxes are lots closer ?????
    A very good friend in Ohio that has lots of experience in forming bullets said it's a operator error in forming the boattails on these new bullets.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    remember this is a new guy making the bullets now days,..maybe a bit of a learning curve[?] I wouldn't expect the older JLK's to have been like that,..but then any manufacturing set-up can get out of adjustment. However the amount of swing you mention is wayyyy tooo much.

My clinch river pills and J4's are good for maybe a .002" swing, at least when I have measured them out of curiosity.