In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.223 reloading, case trimming and x-dies

MatchshotMatchshot Member Posts: 452 ✭✭✭
I am going to set up my press to reload .223 ammo, I have the dillon dies, once fired brass and 52 gr. bullets. I am going to start with 27 gr of Hog.335 powder.

With normal use, am I going to need to trim the cases after every use? Does the RCBS x-die really help and do you need to trim once fired brass before using it?

I realize these are rather rudimentary questions. I am reading the Lyman reloading manual but the x-dies are not mentioned.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The quick answer is : it depends [:D].
    1. You don't normaly have to trim cases after every use. You may get several firings before needing triming.
    2. Yes, the RCBS X-Die will help slow down the growth of the case length (alot) but nothing will eliminate it completely (regardless of what they advertise).
    3. The only way to know if you need to trim once fired brass is to resize it and then measure it. Some of it may need it & some may not.

The problem with using a progressive press (I'm assuming your Dillon is a progressive) is that you won't be able to measure the length of your brass after it's resized before it goes to the next station on the press.
    Some people resize it and check the length, trim if needed, and then start it thru the press.
    Brass preparation is the most tedious step in reloading [|)], but is needed for loading good quality ammo [^].
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Matchshot
    I am going to set up my press to reload .223 ammo, I have the dillon dies, once fired brass and 52 gr. bullets. I am going to start with 27 gr of Hog.335 powder.

Thanks for any help.

I copied and pasted this information directly from Hodgdon's site. You are OVER the recommended maximum load.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/223rem.php

50 GR. SPR SP
    COL: 2.210"

VARGET 27.5 C 3383 44,800 CUP
    BL-C(2) 28.0 3428 47,100 CUP
    H335 26.0 3393 51,700 CUP
    H4895 27.5 C 3468 51,300 CUP
    BENCHMARK 26.5 3396 50,400 CUP
    H322 24.0 3301 49,300 CUP
    H4198 21.5 3223 45,900 CUP

55 GR. SPR SP
    COL: 2.200"

VARGET 27.5 C 3384 49,700 CUP
    BL-C(2) 27.5 3313 48,500 CUP
    H335 25.3 3203 49,300 CUP
    H4895 26.0 3315 49,000 CUP
    BENCHMARK 25.6 3264 50,000 CUP
    H322 23.0 3106 48,900 CUP
    H4198 21.0 3150 47,600 CUP
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Forgot...I have had the best results with nearly full cases. I have been using H4895 and Accurate 2230-C. Not full, but close (after the bullet is seated, you can shake the case and still feel a little bit of "powder slosh"). Definitely not compressed.

"Powder slosh" is probably not the technical term. LOL!
  • Options
    beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sharp observation, dcloco!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Matchshot,

Since you already have the Dillon dies I wouldn't go out and buy RCBS X-dies. They help, but the best deterrent is proper lubing when sizing and proper cleaning when done sizing. Most of your case stretch comes when the case is being pulled out of the die over the neck sizing button. I beat this by taking a q-tip saturated with lube and run it through all the cases once. You will definately notice a difference when you extract the sized case from the sizing die. When completed with sizing run a dry q-tip down each case neck to remove any residual lube.

There is a different type die that I use called a collet die made by Lee. I may be way behind my own curve on this because I haven't used x-dies personally, nor Dillon. I only know people who say they work. The Lee collet die is for neck sizing only. A collet comes down around the neck of the case and presses it inward with no vertical force. That is until the case passes over the sizer on it's way out. You can set these for as little neck tension as you want. This helps keep the movement of the brass to a minimum. This is as opposed to a standard die where the neck is moved inward using upward vertical force to a given size. You can't adjust how much the neck moves inward on standard dies.

I use both types of dies as a lot of the calibers I reload for Lee doesn't have collet type dies for. So, I use the 'lubed properly' theory and clean case necks when done.

Also, I would start closer to the minimum loads and work up. Starting at maximum with a high pressure case isn't the way to reload safely. If you have a brand new 'older caliber' then I would say you may start higher on the powder scale. -hope that helps