In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Best sharp shooting rifle ?

avastavast Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and would like to get opinions from you guys.

I own a pistal and shutgun for home defense purpose but never owned a rifle before. I am contemplating getting into target shooting and perhaps future game hunting. First obstacle I overcomed is 308 vs. 30-06 debate over the internet. For all pratical purpose, I think 308 will suit me -- highly unlikely I will shoot a bear over 500 yards!

Now my question -- what's the best factory rifle (not the completely custom made ones) in terms of accuracy ? I Googled the topic and seems Remington 700 is very popular and not too expensive (even customized ones). But I own a SIG 229 40 calibar pistol and have had great experience with it, so I am very keen to that manufacturer. The "Sig SSG 3000 Tactical Rifle" looks very attractive. It is also featured in movie "Behind the Enemy Lines". But the price tag of ~$5,000 seems a little extraordinary for a rifle. I can afford it, as I will only own ONE rifle, but would like to hear from you guys what you think.

Thanks!

Abe

Comments

• Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Interesting problem. Spending 5000 on a factory rifle of any stripe strikes me as 'excessive', also.

Why do you rule out custom ?

Perhaps you would be better off finding a VERY good custom gunsmith and having him build you a totally personalized rifle...one set up precisely for YOU. The money involved should be somewhat less then the 5000 dollars mentioned..and the rifle will fit.

You have some things to overcome..with no experience with rifles, it will require a very experienced 'smith to fit you.

It would be difficult to fault the Sig you mentioned..but I personally think the rifle over-priced by a factor of 1/2.....
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as factory rifles go, I've never had a SAKO that wasn't accurate. Tikka rifles are also known for their accuracy out of the box.
    I have had, seen or shot inaccurate rifles of almost every other manufacture/brand. I have also seen all those other brands be very accurate when a different rifle was used.
    If I was going to buy a factory gun, I'd get a SAKO. -- But for the kind of money you're talking with that Sig SSG 3000 Tactical I would seriously consider a custom gun if you can determine what you want.
    Maybe you should buy a cheaper gun and use it a while to figure out what you like before spending a bundle on something that may not turn out to be what you want after you've used it awhile.
    I personally think you would be better off with a smaller caliber with less recoil to help master rifle shooting technique before moving up to something larger. -- Just my .02 cents.
    Good luck whatever you decide...[^]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington 700 PSS (if you have to have the 308 chamber) if not, a good magnum in the Sendero SF rifle will never dissapoint. For the extra money you don't spend on the rem over the euro guns, you can be half way to a high end scope. Not many rifles out there can best the sendero, or at least not by enough to justify the price jump. MHO
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    Remington 700 PSS (if you have to have the 308 chamber) if not, a good magnum in the Sendero SF rifle will never dissapoint. For the extra money you don't spend on the rem over the euro guns, you can be half way to a high end scope. Not many rifles out there can best the sendero, or at least not by enough to justify the price jump. MHO

I agree the Remington 700 PSS or Senderos are generally very accurate. They are one of my favorites for a varmit or Tactical type gun(I own several), But the price on them is within just a few hundred dollars of some of the higher end rifles these days and you didn't seem too worried about cost in your first post. The heavy bbl Remingtons are only good for shooting from a rest or off of a bench. If you only are going to have one rifle you may want something lighter to learn to shoot from various field positions(like offhand, kneeling,etc.) or if you are ever going to carry it while walking & hunting that's not what you want. They are to heavy to shoot offhand, etc.
    I guess it just depends on what your use will be, and if you want to learn to be a real rifleman & hunter or stationary target shooter/cherry picker [:D]........good luck.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    avast,

First, guns/rifles are like potato chips...you can't just have one. Hard to make a one-fits-all rifle. The closest thing I have is a Rem 700 long action that has been re-barreled, re-triggered and bedded for a .257 Ackley improved. It will shoot sub .5 MOA on any given day with a target scope on it. I could hunt with it if I put a good hunting scope on it. But I at least need to make that change to go between the two.

I would take any Savage 12 series for accuracy out of the box over Remington. Go to their website and see what caliber you may want it in. If you are going to shoot 1000 yds you may actually find the .308 a little on the weak side. Not for lack of power but for lack of being able to push the more ballistically capable .30 cal bullets fast enough to do what you want at that range. A step down in caliber would bring you better ballistics without having to step up in power. A 7mm-08 (with a tight twist, 1-9" or 1-10") would be a good choice.

Personally, I would lean towards a .243 for any short to medium range shooting you might do. 100-600 yds. Not a lot of recoil to have to get used to. The 25-06 would be suitable out to 1000 yds using 115-120 gr. bullets.

As mentioned above a custom rifle is the way to go if you want to get into target shooting. As you have mentioned that $5K was affordable you can find a lot of outstanding rifles for 2/5ths of that. And don'f forget to get a very good scope for your rifle. For initial dual target/hunting needs something in the 4-14X or 6-20x range would work.
    also, I would go to the range and find some of the people you would be shooting with and what kind of target shooting you will kind of slide into. You may find the advice we give you here won't apply to what you are going to get into. -Those are just some ideas...hope they help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Great advices, Thanks!

The $5k price includes, and I quote, " a Leupold Tactical Vari-X lll 3.5-10x40mm Duplex Reticule scope, Warne QD rings, a Harris Bi-Pod and carrying case." The rifle itself is ~$3500.

I like factory gear over totally custom made because it will be easier to get parts/service. Moreover I am not sure what I will ask for a customized rifle.

I guess, for all practical purpose, I will never shoot anything over 500 yards cause I can't see that far:-) especially for hunting, if I can't see anything that far, I will never shoot. Target shooting could be different, but I don't know any shooting range in my area offer that kind of facility -- the longest I know of is 200 yards in San Francisco Bay Area. So 308, with its wide availability, less recoil, and good accuracy, does fit my bill better IMO.

If I get my rifle, I will definitely take some basic classes/training. I don't want buy cheap first then progress to higher quality ones, I want get it done once and for all -- one rifle, that's it.

But I am in no hurry, I will check out locak gun shows to get some feel and advice as well. I remember saw SAKO, Savage, Remington PSS at local gun show, but at that time I wasn't into rifles yet.

I will have to say I have a soft spot for SIG, the design and mechanical precision just amazes me! I love my SIG 229 pistol.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Might suggest you look into a Mill-Dot scope rather then the Duplex Reticle. Also, Scopes in the 4-16 power make hitting at longer distances FAR easier..the Mill-Dots make range estimation a bit easier...provided that you learn the method.

The prices you are quoting look like full retail PLUS a bit. May I suggest that you go over to General and look up Locust Fork (she is a dealer on GB) and get a price from her ?

As far as 'seeing' waaayy down range..that is what the scope is for. You say you will only buy one rifle..think about a few years down the road, you might just get a hankering to trapse over to the desert or up North Calif. and REALLY try your hand at long range shooting...and there is no reason that Sig won't reach out to 1000 for target shooting.

Nothing like it in the world....looking at bullet holes YOU made in a target..groups tight enough to be useful..from 800 or a 1000 yards away.
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I look hard at the Savage if your'e just starting out. The 700 Remington is a good choice also, but I would step up to the 30-06 just in case at a later time you might wanta rebarrel for another cartridge and the longer action would give you more selection.

Just my .02
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I tend to agree with a Sako,Tikka or Steyr.Remingtons are OK rifles but they need some work to be there best.Usually glass bedded and a trigger job.Best rifle for the money is a Stevens 200.Sub MOA for 300 bucks or less.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As the others have said You will never go wrong with a Rem. 700 or a Savage. Another good choice would be a Cooper rifle. Custom/production gun.
    http://www.cooperfirearms.com/order.html Not one of there rifles will shoot anything less than sub MOA.

If you put some high quality glass on this rifle, You will have a "one hole" gun.
  • Options
    its meits me Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get a remington 700 titanium in 7mm saum or 300 saum. lightweight and you should get 3/4 inch groups no trouble
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Avast;
    You mentioned service/parts availibility.

While that Sig 'might' never break....my guess is that there is perhaps a half-dozen places in America equipped to work on that rifle...it is a bit scarce of an item.

A Remington 700 will be familiar to any 'Smith in America...and generally he has parts for it.

One problem with the Remington rifles mentioned. Not all of them will shoot accurately right out og the box...contrary to popular opinion.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am between the SIG and 700 PSS.

Probably will go with 700. It will out class my shooting skill for a long time [:D] by then, I will know better exactly what I want/need.

Now, I will need a very good scope -- Leupold or Nikon ? I am photography lover and very familiar with Nikon. But it seems most precision rifles are equiped by Leupold scopes.

--
  • Options
    redboneusaredboneusa Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Haven't seen any mention of Browning yet. I've been shooting their stuff in a variety of calibers for years. The out of the box accuracy is unbeliveable. The price wont break you down either.
    I recommend starting out with a .270 or a .270 WSM if you want a short action rifle.
  • Options
    bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leupolds are overpriced and overated. The Nikon will work just fine. Give a good look at the Weaver line of scopes. I'm partial to their Classic series. Think about what ranges you will be shooting. Seems a lot of folks nowadays immediatley jump on the BIG scope bandwagon. A 3x9 with a 38-40mm objective will cover most normal shooting situations. Do Not buy any scope made in China. U.S.,German, and Jap scopes generally have the best fit and finish. Most glass is cut in Japan now, so a lot of U.S. and Euro scopes have Jap glass (which is not a bad thing, they know how to do it).
    Recticles are another point to consider. All my hunting scopes have Duplex recticles, but a normal crosshair recticle will work just fine. Target scopes can be had with fine crosshairs for getting the nth of accuracy.

Just my .02
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My benchrest rifles built on rem700 actions will come out at under $5000 even wearing Nightforce NXS scopes. You are looking at paying a ton of markup if you are spending $5000 for a rifle.

rem 700 action trued, squared, and even sleeved bolt may run $600
    Barrel chambered, threaded and crowned $700 with a high end break
    mcmillan stock pillar bedded $600
    jewell trigger $200
    top end rings and bases $250
    Nightforce NXS glass $1500
    add another $500 for misc and you are still only at $4350
  • Options
    mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd look at the CZ 452 and Howa rifles. They're probably the best deals in town on rifles. I'd take either over the Remington 700BDL that I currently have.