In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Help!! I need a good scope

RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
I have a fairly nice Weatherby Vanguard 30-06 but with a very poor scope. I don't mind spending a few bucks as long as I get value for the money. I don't need a rediculously high quality scope since it would be wasted on me. I will be mostly shooting 100 yds (local range limit)but occasionally up to 200 yds. I don't hunt so this is strictly for range use. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Optics really are one area where you tend to get what you pay for, but there are some decent values for your money around.
    One of the best values for the dollar (IMHO) is the Burris Fullfield II 3x9 with the Ballistic Plex reticle. Good scope for the money.
    Some other lines that are pretty good values are the Nikon Buckmaster line, and the Bushnell Elite 3200 series.
    Some good sources are:
    Natchez Shooters Supplies -- www.natchezss.com (800-251-7839)
    Midsouth Shooters Supply -- www.midsouthshooters.com (800-272-3000)
    Right here on Gunbroker in the Firearm Parts and Accessories section under optics there are plenty to choose from too.

My advice (FWIW) is to stay away from the cheaper bargin brand scopes and buy the best glass you can afford unless you want to buy several and get alot of practice mounting and sighting them in [:D].
    You can generally get 3x9s in the lines mentioned above for under $200.00. If that's not enough power for target work for you, you can step up to the 4.5x14 or so power range for the high $200.00s to a little over $300.00
    Good luck............[^]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RustyNail,

The best deal I have come across lately is CDNN sports. I bought a Redfield 3-10x50 for $199.00 + shipping which came at that time to $214.00. I know this may sound a little jacked but at nearly the same time I came across a "great deal" of a Swarovski 3-9x36. Well the new Redfield, I think, has better optics between the two.

The Redfield(Illuminator) is completely made in Japan and has excellent optics day and night. I take them out at night just to see what I can see through them. Pretty amazing how much more I can see vs. the old scopes and what I started losing as soon as the light started to dim.
    As far as I can see also they are constructed very well too. After the scope is on the rifle a couple years and hunts I will see how well it holds up to the Swarovski. -good luck
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Just buy a Burris and stop looking for a good scope as long as you own it [:D]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ditto,..Burris fullfield or that Redfield from japan out of CDNN.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I just bought a Bushnell 3200 Elite
    3-9x for 100yd work. It was very clear
    for the money ($200) but not strong
    enough IMO for
    good target work. So bought
    a bushnell 3200 5-15x
    and it's just the ticket.
    Easy on the budget ($300) and
    very clear.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    sportsmans guide has nikon 3-9 x40 bdc scope for $150 or 3-9x50 for $200 www.sportsmansguide.com check them out
    Chet
  • Options
    SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Weaver. It's all I use.

Noticed that nobody mentioned Leupold. Does everyone else consider them overrated and overpriced, also?

Try www.riflescopes.com and www.samplelist.com
  • Options
    its meits me Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could get a leupold vx1 3-9X40, they seem to be popular over here in NZ. Ive got a vx3 and so does my brother, ive got the 4.5-14X40 and he has the 50mm version. for what the cost and how highly rated they are the field of view isnt that flash, although the optics are good and adjustments are repeatable plus the lifetime Warranty is handy. Perhaps you are paying a bit for the brand and they are slightly overrated...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank You all--I'm going with the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II Rifle Scope. $340 from Riflescopes.com and comes with free Burrris 12-24x50 spotting scope both of which carry "forever" warrantees. A work-friend suggested I either "go cheap"(disposeable) or invest some serious bucks and get a real scope. I'm straddling in the middle securely because of the warrantee.

MrBruce--I didn't catch what you meant by "buy a Burris and stop looking for a good scope as long as you own it". (until I looked at Burris and caught the warrantee terms[:D])

Its Me--thanks for pointing out that some scopes have a lifetime warantee--goes to show that postcount isn't everything--thanks[:D]
  • Options
    TX-HunterTX-Hunter Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I'm sure Im kinda late for a post here, but Burris is a good scope, Leupold is a good scope, Nikon is a GREAT scope Redfield USED to be a good scope when it had a factory in Durango Colo. I lived in Pagosa Springs at the time got a hell of a bunch of KILLER deals and warranty was FANTASTIC. now it leaves a LOT to be desired. Bushnell is an OK scope for a smaller cal with little recoil. It was never intended for the big cal.guns. I have one on my 308 and TRIED a "upper classed" one on my 7mm mag. no good at all on my mag. couldn't keep it sited in. I personally don't go for the huge magnifications 3X9 is my usual choice. I do however LIKE the bigger optics for light gathering, nothing smaller than a 44 for me.
    Well thats my piece of advice.
    Lee
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Tx-Hunter;

I did get the Burris 4.5-14x42 Fullfield II. I've tried it several times and it is easily the best scope I've ever used and with the "forever" warrantee I couldn't be happier with it. The free spotting scope is excellent too. It is easy to focus/clear/bright picture etc.[:D]
  • Options
    TX-HunterTX-Hunter Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fantastic, glad u got a good one dude.