In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Military Surplus Powder

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
I saw some military surplus powder for 30 bucks for 8 pound jugs.It had numbers such as WCC 866.Is there any way to find out what commercial powder that would be equivilent to?Thanks

Comments

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have quite a few lbs. of wc 852 military surplus powder.Used to load for 06 Garand. Anyone else use this powder? And what do you use it for.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    No way to cross-reference military powder and commercial. Trying to do so can reduce you and your gun to smaller pieces.

Generally the seller of these military powders have loading data.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buddyb,

I don't know what those powders will translate to, but I did notice that surplus 4895 was being sold as well. It ran about twice as high as the 844 and 866. I was under the understanding that the 866 was .50 cal(so is the 5010) and the 844 was .223 and .308(5.56 and 7.62 for the technical among us).

Again, I don't know what the powder charges are specifically but I'm sure with some research, or hopefully as highball said, there is some data, or at least a starting point, to work with. -good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Powder Valley often sells lot powder...but always has loading data with it.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    I have used Wc844 and WC846. Wc 846 is very simlar to BLC-2 and Win748. WC844 is faster.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.gibrass.com
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I continue to learn..and be amazed by this site.

'Normally'..read..'old days'...there was strenous attempts by sellers of powders to prevent cross-reference of military/commercial powders.

That web link makes a point to do so.
  • Options
    beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learn something new here every time I visit as well!
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC gave you the answer. Call Jeff or e-mail him at GIBrass. He knows more about surplus military powder than anyone I have ever talked to.