In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

any pet loads for a .243?

RustyNailRustyNail Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
I'm going to load some .243s for a friend, using H4350 powder and 100grain BT spitzers. Any experience with this combination? Would you strongly recommend a different powder. (of course I'll tweak to find what works best in his gun) Thanks, Rusty.

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RustyNail,

I've used 40.5 grs. of IMR4350 behind 100 gr. bullets before and had very good accuracy. It seemed to me that I was supposed to get around 3000 fps but only got about 2890. Shorter barrel I guess. Anyhow, I declared the load satisfactory with sub-MOA performance and my wife then took the rifle(it's hers) and shot a group of three that touched. So I guess it was a good load.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Alright Sandwarrior!

I have my starting place--Thanks[:D]
  • Options
    mbsamsmbsams Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Noslers and H414 for me. Runs like water - equals 4350 for V. Target accuracy. Been using 414 since 71 in all my medium size cases.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might try RL22 sometime, but 4350 seems the way to go. "In my rifle", 42 grains of 4350, Rem. 9 1/2 primer and 100 grain Nosler Partitian gives me 2,994 av. vel. with sd 11 and extreme spread of 22 fps. Very accurate, no sign of undue pressures, but definately near the top; again, "in my rifle".
    One round at 43.5 and the primer fell out in my hand. Pulled the rest of the bullets on that particular recipe.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    H-4350 is the powder to use, but I would check out H-4831 also with the 100 grain bullets and up.......
  • Options
    r_himmelreichr_himmelreich Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the EXACT same load as sandwarrior in 2 different 243s. I'm getting 2950 w/ a 22" barrel. The other is slower but has a 18.5" barrel (REM 600).

RH
  • Options
    375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Was wondering what your friend will be hunting with his 243 win [8)]
    I was told once that a hunter would be hard pressed to get a 243 to shoot through thick fog , let alone kill a White-tail with one [:o)]
    Ever since that statement was made to me ( by the wiser and older fellas at our local gun club ), I have made it my mission to hunt with one [}:)] I have very seldom had to shoot twice [8D] and when I did , it was no fault of the rifle or round . I'm at work now and don't know the exact powder charge , but I have been using IMR-4064,and a Nosler 95gr Ballistic tip [;)]

Every year I make a point to take the rack or a few steaks to the club , and cook for the fellas .

Can't shoot through the fog [}:)]
    Might as well be shootin spit-balls [:(!]
    If it ain't belted , it ain't slime [xx(]
    I let the round do the talking .

I hunt the coal region in Pa. and a big buck might top the scales at 160 or 165lbs , and thats the high end . 243 works well for me [;)]
  • Options
    redboneusaredboneusa Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen some pretty nice Kansas deer taken with the .243.
    I was impressed enough to get on my self. I like the lighter weight of the short action. Bought myself a .243 WSSM. I took a 180 lb buck last year with it, 195 yard neck shot with factory loads. He never knew what hit him.
    Any one have any reloads worked up for the .243 WSSM?
    Dennis
  • Options
    blackmesariflecoblackmesarifleco Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    Was wondering what your friend will be hunting with his 243 win [8)]
    I was told once that a hunter would be hard pressed to get a 243 to shoot through thick fog , let alone kill a White-tail with one [:o)]
    Ever since that statement was made to me ( by the wiser and older fellas at our local gun club ), I have made it my mission to hunt with one [}:)] I have very seldom had to shoot twice [8D] and when I did , it was no fault of the rifle or round . I'm at work now and don't know the exact powder charge , but I have been using IMR-4064,and a Nosler 95gr Ballistic tip [;)]

Every year I make a point to take the rack or a few steaks to the club , and cook for the fellas .

Can't shoot through the fog [}:)]
    Might as well be shootin spit-balls [:(!]
    If it ain't belted , it ain't slime [xx(]
    I let the round do the talking .

I hunt the coal region in Pa. and a big buck might top the scales at 160 or 165lbs , and thats the high end . 243 works well for me [;)]

I don't mean to burst their bubble but the .243 Win. will easily take any deer that crosses it path within 250 yards. I have taken mule deer that field dressed 180 with it no problem. I would not suggest the 95 gr nosler ballistic tip though - might as well be a varmint bullet -discentegrates rapidly and unless you are careful waste a lot of meat, the partition works well. As for penetration I tried a Hornady Light Magnum 100 gr Interlock two years ago to see what they would do and put one clean through the front shoulder and into the heart and lungs at 150 yards. don't doubt this cartridge at all I haven't tried it but have seen elk that was taken with one. As far as loads go I agree with the 4350 being the best bet- i have tried 7828 and rl 22 and don't seem to gain anything in my rifle.
  • Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:I was told once that a hunter would be hard pressed to get a 243 to shoot through thick fog , let alone kill a White-tail with one

Betcha these same hunters
    1) probably do not sight in before going hunting or if they do shoot 1 shot and if it is within 6 inches of the bull call it good
    2) take a few "sound" shots
    3) nick a leg or 2 or 3 before they finally make a shot that takes a deer down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The Guy I made the rounds for kills all the white tails he wants to so it must be all about bullet placement[;)]