In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

308,,,7.62 m-80

j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
hi guys,,,i recently acuired about 2000 of these cartridges,,,they are marked as ovf,97,7.62,m-80,,,i tried reloading them as a 308 cartridge in which all numbers for shells match in my nosler book,,,however,,,i had trouble putting the right primer in with a hand held primer system(rcbs),,,i wasted 5 primers and don't know why,,,anybody help me out,,,i have reloaded about 30 of these rounds with 5 primers lost,,,however i took them to the range and shot them out of a 308 win model 70,,,they all shot perfectly .thank you

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Many military shells/cases have the primers "CRIMPED" in this needs to be reamed or swaged out before trying to reload Look in reloading equipment under RCBS swage die or primer pocket reamer . I think that will correct your problem unless they are berdan primed.
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The brass you have is Indian in origin. It is probably the worst 308/7.62mm brass out there that is reloadable. Probably best to cut your losses and sell it to the scrap guy.

If you insist on using it, you will need to ream out the old crimp on the primer pockets. You can buy a special tool for this, or use a neck chamfering tool to bevel the edge of the pocket.
  • beararms2beararms2 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yup, military brass is often easy to come by, but you gotta watch out for the way they are primed. If you aren't in a hurry though, it is well worth the extra effort it takes to reload.
  • j3081j3081 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys,,,i reamed out 200 and didn't lose a single primer.if you want advice,,,gunbroker can answer it no matter what it is.again,,,thanks alot,,,joe